Turn On Vertical Tabs

Up for this request as well. Brave should make this a priority and bring it into beta quickly.

1 Like

Progress seems to be made - and this is in active development: https://github.com/brave/brave-core/pull/13816 .

4 Likes

I canā€™t believe theyā€™re really doing it. Thatā€™s great. I thought for sure vertical tabs would never come unless somebody else implemented it upstream in Chromium.

4 Likes

Lo and behold, itā€™s here as a flag in the Nightly build. Iā€™m using Brave vertical tabs right now. Pretty cool! And itā€™s not too bad for such an early stage. You can even use tab groups and the tab group collapse animation is decent, thought it all needs some refinement.

People are going to start asking that the title bar be hidden/removed. My understanding is that thatā€™s harder to implement. Iā€™m not too worried about it for now. It isnā€™t actually that much vertical space at stake. Big props to Brave for making vertical tabs happen on their own initiativeā€”without waiting on Google to add it to Chromium first.

1 Like

Iā€™m just hoping you can switch the panel from left to right as Firefox.

1 Like

What are some benefits of using vertical tabs?

1 Like

Two main advantages that I can think of. 1) Most of our screens are wide screens. Vertical tabs help maximize vertical screen space, while only using up side space that is usually wasted when viewing most websites. 2) If you have many tabs open, vertical is a much more effective orientation because you can fit so many more tabs in a column than in a row without shrinking the tabs down.

3 Likes

Thanks @Fuller1754 so much!

1 Like

I just tried the new flag, and it did not work for me. Still needing some work. Vertical tabs would be better sited in reading list side panel, with buttons to select from reading list, bookmarks and tabs, along selecting on which side of the screed will pop up (right or side) but thats just my opinion.

Iā€™ve tried multiple vertical tab extensions on both Chromium browsers (Edge too) and Firefox. Firefoxā€™s extensions are by FAR the best implementations. The two most popular ones being: TreeStyleTab and Sidebery. Sidebery is very well optimised now and the interface is nice. Eventually Braveā€™s implementation should aim at what Sidebery is doing especially with trees of tabs - they show indentations of tab trees and allow for flexible groupings within those trees.

2 Likes

The feature is now out on Nightly, but iā€™d like to suggest to remove the top bar into the searchbar (the top bar where the maximize and close bvuttons are) into the search bar just like it does in Edge. The benefit of using vertical tabs is that you want more space on the top - but sadly you gain no space at all like in edge

2 Likes

That would make a huge improve n terms of UI.

Yep, there is a big box at the top when the flag is enabled. It needs improvement.

Otherwise, the actual vertical tab panel works pretty neat without any bugs.

I just, PLEASE, beg for a vertical tab feature with trees.
I want to organize my tabs with a tree structure, please make it happen

2 Likes

Go to brave://flags/ and search for vertical tabs and change it from default to enabled

1 Like

Iā€™ve never used vertical tabs and after seeing Enabled, Iā€™ve decided to continue not using it. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Me too, but Vivaldi has a better implementation. Brave and Vivaldi have been built on different views.

2 Likes

I can confirm the vertical tabs flag is now out on the stable browser.

brave://flags/#brave-vertical-tabs

1 Like

After using this feature for a while, the latest update seems to have broken it. The flag is still enabled. Iā€™ve tried disabling and reenabling but the vertical tabs are gone. This is on a Mac. Brave just updated to v1.47.171.

1 Like

There is nothing broken, it is just a bad decision for Brave to enable vertical tabs for Stable builds, because so many changes are going on and more changes will happen in Vertical tabs that normal users will get the changes ā€˜too lateā€™ and ā€˜normal usersā€™ are not aware and I canā€™t blame you for not knowing how things work now.

3 months ago, Brave added the way to switch Vertical tabs on runtime that means, you donā€™t need to disable or enable flag anymore in order to switch from horizontal to vertical, now you just enable the flag and then right click on the tabs and then you will get the ā€œUse Vertical Tabsā€ option.

1 Like