Townhall.com Ads/Trackers not Blocked

Description of the issue:

Brave on desktop is not blocking several ads/trackers on the website townhall.com. If it is blocking them, it’s not showing under tracker/ads blocked shield. Below are some domains which are not being blocked.

prebid.adnxs.com
ib.adnxs.com
experience.tinypass.com
ad.doubleclick.net
pagead2.googlesyndication.com
www.googletagservices.com

Exact URL of the website in question:

Screenshot of the ad as it appears in Brave
Did the issue present with default Shields settings? (yes/no)

Yes

Does the site function as expected when Shields are turned off?

Using Shields on aggressive mode.

Is there a specific Shields configuration that causes the site to break? If so, tell us that configuration. (yes/no):

no

Does the site work as expected when using Chrome?

yes

Brave version (check About Brave):

V1.31.88

Hi,

Because there is script dependancys on the site. because under aggressive it’ll block the others from loading. Try adding this to @@||townhall.com/resources/js/prebid- into brave://adblock to view the missing ads/trackers.

wait, there is what?

Blocking one script, will stop others from loading. which is why it doesn’t show up

@fanboynz cascading loading?

If it is blocking, why are there still URL/DNS requests still showing for those websites?

When I’m at home, the DNS request still show on the pi-hole. When I’m at work, the URL requests are still logged on the iBoss Reporter logs.

If it’s blocking it, why does it still appear in both instances?

In standard mode, it won’t touch 1st-party items (townhall.com/resources/js/prebid-*), which lets all the adservers & trackers load and then be blocked by shields (28 shield items). Aggressive mode will block the first-party item preventing the other 3rd-party scripts/servers from loading, thus its smaller. (16 shield items). This is also reproducible in uBO, so its not a Brave specific issue.

I see no “URL/DNS” requests in dev tools/networking. There is nothing really more to add to this thread without just repeating what I’ve said already.

Just a note: I am using Aggressive mode.

What is interesting I’m only getting (8 shield items), not 16 as you mentioned. I do have the following selected on brave://adblock

Easlist-Cookie List
Fanboy Annoyances List
uBlock Annoyances List

I understand about blocking one script which then causes the scripts which would follow to be blocked. If they are blocked, it still doesn’t answer why they would still showing up in the pi-hole and iBoss appliance. I could have something misconfigured or something else could be happening. I know you mentioned you are finished with adding anything to this conversation. Sorry, I wasn’t trying to annoy anyone, just noting a behavior I’m seeing on my end.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.