Torrent Viewer won't stream in browser/forces download path

torrent

Hello, recently heard that you could stream torrents in Brave browser tab, reached out on twitter and was told this:
“When using Web torrent viewer, once your download has started, simply double-click on the torrent file to have it stream directly in your browser!”

I have Torrent Viewer extension enabled (version 1.0) however when I start downloading, and double-click on the torrent file the download tab quickly says loading… then goes blank, and a few seconds later opens up file explorer to determine a download path. Here’s my Brave Version.

Brave: 0.23.77
V8: 6.8.275.24
rev: 0125b5f5ddc7eebc832ceeb4f4275230ec49d149
Muon: 8.0.6
OS Release: 10.0.16299
Update Channel: Release
OS Architecture: x64
OS Platform: Microsoft Windows
Node.js: 7.9.0
Brave Sync: v1.4.2
libchromiumcontent: 68.0.3440.84

My shield settings are block ads, block 3rd party cookies, block 3rd party fingerprinting, https everywhere, block phishing/malware.

Step by Step:
i. click magnet link for torrent
ii. new tab opens displaying magnet link in URL and orange start torrent button, click start torrent
iii. torrent starts downloading, I wait for peers to reach about 30 and download speed is about 1.5mb/s
iv. I bring mouse over torrent file (displays text cursor) and double click file.
v. torrent tab goes blank except says loading for a split second then goes completely blank, a few seconds later file explorer opens for “save as”.

The download does work, and it does let me watch with VLC player before I finish downloading, but I’m trying to stream this in the browser and haven’t had any luck messing around with settings. Thanks for any help here!

a torrent and a stream - while both similar in that data comes at an “increased/optimized rate of speed” - are two different animals. Streams are sequential, whereas torrents simply fire off random blocks/pieces of the whole to be placed in the right place somehow…as I understand it. For the suggestion you received on twitter to be true (assuming my understanding of the differences is), you’d need all of the torrent seeders to have at least the same (or faster) upload speed as you have for your download, so that the torrent (protocol?) can assemble the swarm of data into a coherent form quickly enough to be played continuously without pause/buffering. The man behind the curtain is pretty good, but he’s not quite there just yet…

Here’s what Brave Twitter support sent me to show me what should happen.

Which is how it should work, but I’m not getting these results. Instead of a streaming/play button, I’m only getting file explorer asking for a download location. In that link they were able to load the stream with 256kb/s so I don’t think its an issue with download/upload speeds. I also don’t think this is a “is it possible” situation, as it appears it’s already possible.

So I’ll still wait for some help on this topic.

@regnar | You should try and update to v0.23.79 and see if the error is still there.

I updated and tried it with a few different torrents, it appears to be working now! not sure what was changed but it works now. Thank you all for the help, consider this closed as far as I’m concerned :slight_smile:

Fantastic! I’d suggest you click the “solved” button on the solving answer. :slight_smile: