Tor window opens on it's own - every time I go to Wirecutter.com/ OR brave.com/latest/

Troubleshooting technical issues is much easier when both the user and support agent practice clear communication. For this reason, we have provided the template below for you to fill out with information about your issue. Please provide as much detail as possible so we can most efficiently resolve your problem.

Delete the any text above the line separator below before posting

Description of the issue:

Exact URL of the website in question:

Did the issue present with default Shields settings? (yes/no)

Does the site function as expected when Shields are turned off?

Is there a specific Shields configuration that causes the site to break? If so, tell us that configuration. (yes/no):
Happens with shields on or off. It also happens with the link: https://brave.com/latest/
Does the site work as expected when using Chrome?
Yes
Brave version (check About Brave):
Version 1.37.116 Chromium: 100.0.4896.127 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Please tell me what OS you’re using when you see this behavior. Additionally, can you please try creating a test profile and see if you get the same behavior when visiting those sites there?

Hello and thank you!
It’s Windows 64 (21H2), and creating a test profile did stop it from happening.
Do I have to start a new profile from scratch? Or can I delete something specific?

Can you try simply disabling tor functionality (Settings --> extensions --> Private windows w/Tor), restarting the browser, then enabling the feature again, restarting the browser one more time, then test to see if this resolves the issue?

I tried it. But it still opens a Tor window.

If you toggle this option Off and leave it off, does the behavior change?

Yes. When the Tor feature is off, it won’t open a Tor window. I mastered the switch. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Another thing I noticed, when it does happen, it opens the link both in Tor and in a regular tab simultaneously. Basically every link I touch under nytimes.com opens another Tor tab.
Another detail, I have 12 extensions. I disabled all, closed Brave and reopened, tested and nothing changed.
I wonder if someone is mapping all brave-Tor users by opening those windows and matching the timing of access… and why does Brave.com/latest is behaving similarly.

Not sure how this one escaped me — in brave://settings/extensions, please try toggling this option off in your main profile and see if the behavior persists:

That did the trick - SOLVED!
Thank you Matches!!! :star_struck: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :smile:

1 Like

No problem — don’t know why I didn’t think of that in the first place. Seems so obvious now :sweat_smile:. Happy that did the trick.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.