It’s such a shame that this browser is virtually unusable for the average user. It has so many problems and requires way too much “tweaking”. I’ve used the browser for only a few of days and I’ve encountered way too many issues in such a short amount of time. It’s almost like being comfortable in your bed at home and then going on holiday and realising that there are people who sleep on really terrible beds. Using this browser made me realise how much easier other browsers are to use. Users should not have to become computer engineers to enjoy a smooth-sailing browser. The thing is that people are getting fed up of the big names that now dominate this area *cough * google cough and are looking for alternatives. I really wanted to use the browser, but it’s just simply not a good browser in my opinion. In the few days I’ve used it, I’ve encountered:
- Inability to close tabs I don’t want to use; I have to close the browser and start again
- takes forever to switch from one tab to another
- I had the whole “preview next tab” function, until I figured out how to turn it off (why do I need this function?)
- browser freezing and “not responding”, requiring me to close the browser and start again
- being logged out of websites when I close the browser.
- inability to play videos on full screen (finally figured out I had to do some tweaking to make videos play on full screen)
- videos on some websites just simply not playing at all (e.g. openload.co), or getting a huge “access denied” on some video pages
- pop-ups that just will not close, no matter how many times I click the “X” button. Not sure how these pop-ups managed to appear since the browser is supposed to block ads and whatnot
- not being able to access pop-ups from pages I want pop-ups from, even after enabling pop-ups
I’ve encountered all these problems and a few more from just using the browser for 3 or 4 days. It is possible that there are fixes for some of the problems I mentioned, but to be honest, I don’t want to waste my time figuring out how to make a browser work, when I have a 300 page thesis to write. Heck, people who just want to browse the internet with not much work to do don’t want to waste their time trying to figure out how to make a browser work effectively. That’s the job of computer engineers. If the aim of the Brave team is to eventually make this browser usable by the public at large, they need to fix the usability of their browser. People shouldn’t have to turn things on and off, or follow various website links to figure out how to make a browser function effectively. I had to turn on the ability to view videos in full screen after downloading the browser (why?). Anyway, this post was not meant to offend anyone. But with a browser with this level of functionality, information should be posted on the download website that the browser is still under development. I will keep the browser on my laptop for now and use it now and then to see if improvements are being made. But for the time being, I guess I have to keep using browsers that function effectively and don’t waste my time.