Tons of extensions running. I did not download. eating up pc resources

only the 3 private tabs below the Browser at the top are me.

Description of the issue:
extensions I never downloaded and do not show up as installed, are running in task manager. eating resources on pc.

Steps to Reproduce (add as many as necessary): 1. 2. 3.
not applicable. always like this. more like someone is running something on my browser but it is not me…

Reproduces how often*
always if i try to end the tasks they immediately open back up.

Brave Version(about:brave):

version .058.18 Chromium: 71.0.3578.98

Reproducible on current live release (yes/no):

not related

Additional Information:

any thoughts?

Hi @chris2525,
Thanks for reporting.

cc @Mattches @sriram on this. I’m not sure about the memory usage.

In addition, all that “extensions” is expected because it’s a built-in.

• Extension: Brave

I think this one is Brave Shields. Brave main feature for protection. Brave icon at URL bar.

• Extension: Brave Rewards

It’s the BAT (triangle) icon at URL bar. Another Brave main feature, Brave Rewards.

• Brave WebTorrent is used for Torret viewer.
  • PDF Viewer is for PDF.

Both Torrent and PDF viewer is not yet listed under extension page.

Thanks
:slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

well, i am not using the webtorrent viewer. it seems my system was compromised, and they are using the browser somehow. the usage is rediculously high, i thought my pc would turn off. i went through and manually removed all the extension files. it does not stop it from opening those in the task manager, but seemed to have
stopped their using of my resources.

@eljuno is correct. Those are built in extensions that are running. Currently the extensions are running as components so even if you remove the folders it would get downloaded once the browser is started.

Regarding webtorrent, you would be able to disable it in the next build that comes out. The fix is not part of the current build.

PDF extension can be disabled in the next build as well where you have option to download the PDF instead of opening in browser which will be available in brave://settings/content/pdfDocuments . Enabling this would disable the extension from running.

PDF is showing up twice because you have both normal and Private windows open so the extension is running on both windows hence the duplicate entries.

Rewards cannot be disabled. You can only disable it via command line argument but it would be more painful to do it every time until the setting is provided.

Hope this explains things clearly.

that is the thing. I dont have normal windows open.

That’s because the private window that you have opened is part of the same profile. By default extensions are not allowed in private window so any extension that needs to be running in private window would be associated with the normal window process. Can’t have the extension process run only on private windows. Even if you see any extension that you install it says Allow extension to run in incognito. Doesn’t say Only run in incognito.

i dont need and didnt ask any extensions to run

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.