"Tired of cookie consent notices?" = no consent?

What is the effect of enabling this feature?
i.e., is it an automatic ‘no consent’ – and if so, won’t it result in lack of access to sites that require cookies?

Thanks.

The effect is you’ll no longer be annoyed with those notices. As to cookie notices, many were found to be deceptive and to even ignore user choice. There have been some ongoing legal complaints about this in places like the EU. You may want to try doing your own research, but I’ll start you off at https://www.itgovernance.eu/blog/en/how-the-gdpr-affects-cookie-policies Or if you want a more academic one, you can check out https://www-sop.inria.fr/members/Nataliia.Bielova/papers/Matt-etal-20-SP.pdf where it mentions how systems still tracked Users even when they rejected all cookies.

Umm, no. It blocks the prompt and the decision is never really made to begin with. Brave defaults to only necessary cookies in general. Even then, a lot of cookies are still not kept permanently and your privacy is prioritized. That may sound confusing, but check out articles below:

3 Likes

@Saoiray, thanks for that detailed reply.

"It blocks the prompt " and “Brave defaults to only necessary cookies in general” resolve the issue.

If there was an automatic block of all cookies, my experience with TOR confirms that a lot of sites wouldn’t be accessible.

If you ever experience that, come post under Web Compatibility and we can get people like Fanboynz to look into it. The good thing is Brave always makes adjustments and the staff works to get things going as well as they can. Often results are quick, though others can take some time depending on the cause.

1 Like

It does not block 1st party cookies, it just blocks the consent pop-up.

These pop-ups are used for consent for 3p cookies (3p=3rd party) and brave already blocks 3p cookies. If you remember the pop-ups, then you will know that the ‘essential cookies’ are always loaded and you do not get consent for it.
This essential cookies are what store your login for eg., twitter, youtube etc.
When you just block the pop-up, you do not give consent nor take back your consent, meaning the site just loads the essential cookies which are the useful ones.
It is very similar to when some pop-ups have the option like ‘Reject non-essential’ or ‘Accept only Essential’ in the list.

I have been using this feature in brave for 1 year and before brave for another 1 year and not a single site has broken up for me.

Comparison with Tor browser is not similar as tor browser bundle always runs in private mode where cookies are destroyed whenever the user closes the browser window.

If you do not like this feature after turning it ON, you can always turn it OFF from brave://shields/filters

1 Like

Thanks, @Saoiray, I was referring primarily to the TOR browser, but I know I have experienced it as well (though less) in Brave’s TOR mode, so I’ll report future occurrences as you suggest.

Can Brave’s TOR mode successfully get one into financial websites?

Just ran a quick test and the site (a bank) returned an error message saying that the connection was “not secure” and that the site doesn’t support “HTTPS” – whereas BRAVE’s regular ‘Private’ window works without issue (and with “https://” displayed in the URL line)…

@chh_68 Thanks. I will definitely enable it now. It will be great to not have to proactively select ‘Reject non-essential" anymore.

Comparison with Tor browser is not similar as tor browser bundle always runs in private mode where cookies are destroyed whenever the user closes the browser window.

I thought TOR (the browser) doesn’t store cookies at all, and that’s why financial websites (e.g.) always break in TOR. If cookies were storable during the session (even if destroyed when closing the browser window) wouldn’t those sites be accessible in TOR?

I just checked official tor browser, and you can store cookies in it. But, it also gives a warning ‘In permanent private browsing mode, cookies and site data will always be cleared when Tor Browser is closed.’

You can even store passwords, bookmarks, credit cards etc.

The financial websites do not work, not because of cookies but because of your IP address, as you are using TOR Exit node IP, so financial websites flag your session as TOR=Maliciousness.

You can use Facebook, reddit, twitter normally in tor browser. Even some financial sites like crypto exchanges normally via storing cookies.

1 Like