Thunderbird links when clicked on close Brave and re-open Brave asking to restore pages

Every try to open email links in Thunderbird closes Brave Browser.
Brave re-open asking to restore pages that were opened before.

Steps to Reproduce: it’s been a problem for weeks now. Reproduced hundred of times.

Cliking on Thunderbird email link closes Brave. Brave re-open and ask if I want to restore pages.

Until last updates, I had no problem at all. Brave was opening pages aside others that were there.

Reproduces everytime I click on a link now (at least a month if not about 6 weeks).
Only exception: if I change my favorite browser to firefox, there is no problem opening Thunderbird email links.
Then, If I return to Brave as my favorite browser, there is no problem opening Thunderbird email links, … Until I turn off the computer. When I’m back the next day, Brave closes and re-opens when clicking email links as before.

Operating System: Ubuntu 18.04 LTS
Brave Version: Version 1.37.116 Chromium: 100.0.4896.127 (Build officiel) (64 bits)

@cocherroyal ,

I do not have access to a Linux OS machine, but I have a note that says, you ought to be able to look at the Crash Reports:

/home/your_username/.config/BraveSoftware/Brave-Browser/Crash Reports

My two cents of caution, for which you have not asked . . . are:

Never click on a link in an e-mail message, because of the high risk – that the link is not good. There have been plenty of “Phishing Expeditions” using such a link, that result in the un-expected and un-wanted thing being downloaded to a computer.

All that precaution aside, the handler / manager of the job (list of tasks) are roughly:

• (1) Copy the URL address in the e-mail message

• (2) Is the Default Internet browser running?

• (3) If the Default Internet browser is not running, request that it be launched

• (4) Is the Default Internet browser running?

• (5) If the Default Internet browser is not running, repeat 2 times, steps (3) and (4); after those repeats, proceed to the next step:

• (6) If the Default Internet browser is not running, Exit/Quit (/Crash?!)

• (7) If the Default Internet browser is running, manage/request the Paste & Go of the URL address, using the Default Internet browser . . . and somewhere during that work, Succeed or Crash?!

Suggestion: In a Brave Browser > New Window, go to: brave://settings/getStarted

Re On startup, select “Open a specific page or set of pages”

Set the address to: about:blank (notice the colon)

Thus, when Brave Browser launches, it has no immediate extra burden of going to some website.

Instead, Brave Browser is more ready to receive a command.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.