This Doesn't Seem Privacy Orientated?

@Mattches

Thank you. I’m neither worried or not. I’d have liked to have understood precisely why this happens. When I use VPN for banking/etc I always do a leak test, so I’m good with VPN stuff.

When I first noticed this my first thoughts were I haven’t had this in a while. I wondered if I hadn’t applied all the privacy settings with Brave. As you have said that is not the case. So really it’s down to websites using IP data in this manner, which I feel is something the user should have the choice of.

I’m gonna give up with this now. :wave:

Not to rain on your parade, but uBlock Origin & Firefox can’t do anything to hide your IP address and its approximate location (unless you are in a VPN or Tor obviously). If the pizza website didn’t recognize your location, it’s only because it couldn’t extrapolate your approximate location from your IP address. It happens a lot.

No parade, no rain neighbour.

I haven’t said they could or couldn’t. I was explaining the circumstances. The context for which, the most important point being that I hadn’t seen this behaviour for a long time and wanted to know exactly why it happens. That said you can protect both your local and public IPs from leaking via WebRTC with some extensions, ScripSafe for example…

So what I’ve been interested in, is precisely how and why some sights are able/doing this.

Every time you connect the IP address you are using with an address for delivery, or login somewhere an verify address, it could be added to a database. So eventually with how sticky IP addresses are they know your real address and thus location. To loose sticky IP addresses you usually need to unplug the modem for over 24 hours.

When using a VPN you should never have anything too close to your real address. Using US servers sometimes I show up as Romania and that really confuses me.

Hello @141

not all country use dynamic ip address so no matter how many time you restart your router/modem you will always get the same ip

A WebRTC leak is another matter and concerns only connections through VPNs.

Generally speaking, localizing merely on the basis of your public IP address is an unreliable method. In brief, all the IP addresses — ranges and their ASNs — in the world are listed in several big databases. It is usually difficult to keep these “global” databases up to date: ISPs can change location and/or legal address out of the blue over the years, can transfer or acquire ranges, etc. Besides, pieces of information in different databases are often inconsistent: one could say you are in a certain area, another could say you are elsewhere; sometimes, they can’t localize you at all. Basically, it all depends on the database/service that the website is using.

It goes without saying that geolocation can make use of more sophisticated techniques, but you can disable geolocation in your browser in the first place.

One the one hand, I agree that restarting the router/modem doesn’t necessarily get them a new IP address; but, on the other hand, static IP addresses are more expensive and ISPs don’t give them to residential customers, which in certain cases can pay an additional fee for this specific service. Static addresses are more popular among commercial and industrial customers.

1 Like