There is a lot of ads coming from Idontknowhwhere in my desktop

Hello. I have a problem because there are a lot of pages appearing in my desktop. I get to config to block all ads and permissions but it is appearing all the time and I don’t know how to fix it. I tried to put an image of the thing happening right now.

Please edit your post to reflect the template and guidelines and we’d be more than happy to assist you.

Guidelines - Before posting, please:

• Search the forum to see if anyone else has already posted or resolved the issue you came to ask about.
  • Fill out the template that appears in your editor when posting as it contains all the boiler-plate information surrounding your issue. It will help the Support team members and other Community members to efficiently assess and resolve your issue.
  • Provide essential info such as your version number and OS, to help Support and other Community members resolve your issue.
  • Ensure that you’re posting in the appropriate category
  • Tag your post appropriately – note that some tags are restricted to or from specific categories.
  • Observe and adhere to our code of conduct
1 Like

Hello, I need help with some problem. What is the problem with my post? I really need help with a worrying problem

@Kasparov2001 Simple answer is either one of your extensions is doing it and/or you installed adware on your device. Try to run something like Malwarebytes to see if it can find issues. You may also want to go through and check extensions on your PC. If neither solves it, then we’ll need you to provide a little more details.

What he’s saying you missed is:

Description of the issue:

Steps to Reproduce (add as many as necessary): 1. 2. 3.

Actual Result (gifs and screenshots are welcome!):

Expected result:

Reproduces how often:

Brave Version(about:brave):

Reproducible on current live release (yes/no):

Additional Information:

It’s important to know which version of Brave you’re using, if there’s anything you’re doing when things go wrong, where it’s appearing, etc. We can’t figure out much at all based on what you shared, especially with your screenshot cropped to only a small portion. It looks like maybe you were on YouTube and you’re using Brave, but I also see you have AdBlock Pro and two other extensions running.

Not sure what else it is, but with Brave’s own adblock program, you shouldn’t need to have any other extensions…they sometimes can void each other out or cause other problems with your browser. Anyway, try to focus on running Malwarebytes to check for adware and then look to see what extensions you have, especially if any are there that you didn’t add yourself. 99% chance that will solve your issue.

1 Like

@Kasparov2001,

In order to help (and nudge you along), the following is an example of what you might enter:

Using Brave Browser (for a desktop computer), in order to view a YouTube video.

The problem is, that over in the right-hand area of the Brave Browser window (to the right of the principle video display itself), there are many, repeated images that apparently represent only a single, same advertisement (“AD”) video at YouTube?

If those images (frames?) are actually ADs (advertisements) instead of other YouTube videos that would somehow be associated with the principle video (to your left, in my screenshot) . . . then I have yet to figure out, how to use the configuration of the Brave Browser Shields . . . such that, I may block these ADs.

(Or, one or more of my Brave Browser Shields settings might be affecting the correct appearance of YouTube videos on the right, and so, somehow YouTube’s website servers are providing some kind of substitution?)

How can this issue be reproduced?

1. I am not certain how you would reproduce it, because I am not sure of the effects caused by the Brave Browser Shields config.

Expected result:

On the right, the usual list of videos that Google and YouTube figure, are associated with the principle video (and my previous use of the YouTube website).

Brave Version( check About Brave):

[Kasparov2001, please find the Brave Browser version and enter that, here. An entry simply stating ‘latest version’ does not help as much.]

Additional Information:

[Kasparov2001, what is the Operating System for the computer that you are using?]

[Kasparov2001, also explore your Brave Browser Shields settings. Take screenshots of those settings, and submit your screenshots, here. Also, take screenshots of other settings that you suspect, might apply, and submit them, here – including your thoughts re all such screenshots.]

1 Like

@Kasparov2001 ,

Try . . .

Clear your browsing data

In a New Window, go to:

“brave://settings/clearBrowserData” (no quotes)

Click on “Advanced”

Change “Time range” to “All time”

Select all three of:

• Cookies and other site data
  • Cached images and files
  • Site and Shields Settings

and click the “Clear data” button.

Clear host cache, close idle sockets, and flush socket pools

In a New Window, go to:

“brave://net-internals/#dns” (no quotes)

and click on “Clear host cache”

In a New Window, go to:

“brave://net-internals/#sockets” (no quotes)

and click on both

• “Close idle sockets”
  • “Flush socket pools”

Restart Brave Browser.

Above steps suggested elsewhere, by @Rethanis

Another possibility, pertaining to DNS over HTTPS. Ref.:

https://www.cloudflare.com/learning/dns/dns-over-tls/” (no quotes)

You might, for testing purposes, look over the “Secure DNS” settings:

“brave://settings/security?search=secure” (no quotes)

Perhaps try some of the Custom Providers.

Given that the source for the webpage, is Google, there may be some Google domain(s) not yet allowed by your Brave Browser Shields - javascript setting(s). You might make entries of (Allow) some of the Google sources, regardless of whether or not: you have been allowing javascript.

In order to learn, what Google sources may be involved, you might use the Developer Tools > Network tool . . . and find possible sources for some of the downloaded items that you observe when Brave Browser visits the website of interest.

How to use Developer Tools > Network

https://www.lifewire.com/web-browser-developer-tools-3988965

https://developer.chrome.com/docs/devtools/network/reference/

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-edge/devtools-guide-chromium/

PS. How to flush DNS cache in Windows OS:

https://www.wikihow.com/Flush-DNS

PS. Similar problem at:

This didn’t work for me. Ads on youtube are still showing.

@BigChungus1009 Please create your own post at Ad-Blocking and make sure you’re including all the information they need.

When you go to create a post, it should give you the format, but I’ll paste below just in case you don’t see it.

Exact URL of the website in question:

Screenshot of the ad as it appears in Brave

Did the issue present with default Shields settings? (yes/no)

Does the site function as expected when Shields are turned off?

Is there a specific Shields configuration that causes the site to break? If so, tell us that configuration. (yes/no):

Does the site work as expected when using Chrome?

Brave version (check About Brave):

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.