The Chrome Remote Desktop app doesn't work on Brave on MacOS

Description of the issue: I installed the Chrome Remote Desktop app on Brave on MacOS 11.5. It installs without issue and can be found in brave://apps. However, the app crashes immediately upon launching whether it is launched from within Brave or from the folder it is installed in my Mac. It works fine on Windows when launched from within Brave, and it works fine on Mac when launched from within Chrome.

How can this issue be reproduced?

1. Install the Chrome Remote Desktop App on MacOS.
  2. Go to brave://apps or the folder the app is installed in.
  3. Run the app. At best, the app icon appears briefly in the Dock, but that’s it.

Expected result: The app should run as it does with Brave in Windows.

Brave Version( check About Brave): Version 1.26.74 Chromium: 91.0.4472.124 (Official Build) (x86_64)

A random walk on Internet street:

https://www.support.com/how-to/how-to-install-the-chrome-remote-desktop-app-12618

That says “You must have Google Chrome installed.”

My window shopping take on that, is, Chrome Remote Desktop is not [yet] likely to work with Brave Browser for Mac . . . but . . .

Suppose you uninstall Chrome on your Mac.

And next, thoroughly uninstall Chrome Remote Desktop on your Mac.

Including the removal of Chrome Remote Desktop’s preference files (if any) within:

/Users/your_shortname/Library/Preferences/

Including the removal of Chrome Remote Desktop items (if any) within:

• /Users/your_shortname/Library/Application Support/
  • /Library/Application Support/

Including both application’s cache files within:

/Users/your_shortname/Library/Caches/

Note, that you left in place, the Chrome browser’s satellite files (except cache), while on the other hand, took steps to thoroughly remove what you could, of Chrome Remote Desktop and its satellite files.

And then, install Chrome Remote Desktop. See if it will work as you have wanted, via Brave, without the presence of Google’s Chrome?

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.