The browser will not close on quit

The browser (Version 0.63.48 Chromium: 74.0.3729.108 (Official Build) (64-bit)) sometimes does not close after Brave > Quit Brave is selected.

I have to use Force Quit from the Activity Monitor.

This does not occur every time but mostly after the browser has been in use for several hours.

Running on macOS 10.14.4 on an iMac 27" Retina

Cannot reproduce predictably.

<---------Delete this line and everything above before posting---------->**

Description of the issue:

Steps to Reproduce (add as many as necessary): 1. 2. 3.

Actual Result (gifs and screenshots are welcome!):

Expected result:

Reproduces how often:

Operating System and Brave Version(See the About Brave page in the main menu):

Additional Information:

cc @Mattches @gsarvadnya for assistance here

@Fellwalker57,
Thanks for reaching out!
When you say it doesn’t quit, do you mean that the [a] Brave process is still open, or do you mean that browser simply doesn’t close/quit at all? That is, if you click Brave --> Quit Brave, the browser stays open and functional as if you’d never hit Quit?

The process continues to be active but the app window is closed (and will not reopen). The app shows as open in the dock. The only way to stop the process is through force quit in Activity Monitor.

@Fellwalker57,
Apologies for the repitition but I just want to be 100% we’re on the same page – after hitting Quit, the icon displays as shown in the Brave logo on the right hand side (Release) of the image below, with the dot underneath, whereas it should display as the beta logo on the left with no dot, correct?

If so, a Right-click --> Quit from the context menu doesn’t have any effect?

It displays the standard Brave logo with a dot (I am not on the beta program).

Right click > Quit has no effect. Have to force quit from Activity Monitor.

It only happens after the browser has been up for several hours. In fact it just happened right now. If I open the browser and then close it after a few minutes everything functions as expected.

Not easy to debug!

1 Like

@Fellwalker57,
Thank you for the information and patience.
Still unsure about this – I’m wondering if there’s a background process that isn’t closing when the browser quits that halts the process. Do you have any extensions installed and enabled?

Yes, 7 extensions! All of them were also installed on Chrome without a problem. Next time quit fails I will look at the activity monitor and note the extensions running. May take a day or two.

Thanks for your help.

@Fellwalker57 I’m wondering if disabling “Continue running background apps when Brave is closed” under Brave’s Settings > System can solve your issue.

I don’t see that setting. I’ve attached a screenshot of the relevant place but perhaps I’m looking in the wrong place.

@eljuno, @Fellwalker57,
This option is disabled by default IIRC. Instead of watching the monitor, I would try first disabling all extensions currently active to see if the behavior if is the same. If so – and this may seem drastic – removing the installed extensions would be a good next step.

Let me know if disabling extensions still produces the issue when the browser is closed.

1 Like

Yes, I understand. I’ll take them out one by one but it will take some time as the problem only seems to show up after the browser has been running for several hours.

I’ll let you know what I find.

Thanks.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.