The browser makes the "system" process load the CPU

This seems like relatively common issue caused by some “incompatibility” between an app and Windows. In my case that app turned out to be Brave.

Launching the browser causes the CPU usage of “system” process to rise up to around 15%. Closing the window makes the problem go away. It happens even before any tabs are open (profile selection screen). Sometimes letting the browser idle stops the issue temporarily, until I use it again.

Opening Edge doesn’t cause anything like that.

It’s been happening for the past 3-5 days (don’t remember exactly). I have no extension installed, running the latest version of Windows 10, Brave version 1.61.120

1 Like

In the meanwhile my PC died and I bought a new one. New computer with different hardware, Win 11 instead of 10, v1.62.162; didn’t even have time to install many apps. I got the same problem.

I solved this problem by turning off hardware acceleration in Brave.

Hamburger menu → Settings → System → Use graphics acceleration when available

1 Like

Thank you very much!!! It worked!

Hi there,

It worked for me too, but I’m really struggling getting my Dell XPS 15 working properly with Brave together.

When you see the amount of Dell Forum posts about YouTube performance struggle and GPUs, I don’t know if we ever will get that sorted out… :expressionless:

Thank you. I was having the same issue and turning off graphics acceleration resolved it.

Which is frustrating, because Brave was causing the System process to race even with a single, idle, tab open to a simple page with no animations or video.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.