System requirements? Brave slow/sluggish on one computer, but not on another

This may not be a Brave issue, but more system compatibility or recommended hardware/OS.

On my home computer, many things are slower in Brave than Chrome: startup, opening tabs, closing tabs, moving tabs…even typing in this window seems laggy with Brave (not sure how Chrome would be).
On my work computer, this is not the case. Brave is nice and “snappy”, like Chrome. (I also notice Firefox is faster at work.)

Both computers have the latest Brave update, so I think the only differences are OS and hardware. My home computer has 4GB RAM, HDD, and is running Windows 10 (upgraded from 7). Work computer has 8 GB RAM, Solid state disk, and is running Windows 7 Enterprise. I’ll paste all the detail below. Can anyone tell me if I just need to upgrade to a solid state disk or add RAM? Thanks.

Work computer (fast):
Dell OptiPlex (9020)
LITEON LCH-256V2S-11 22 SCSI Disk Device
(Solid State Drive)
8 GB RAM

Windows 7 Enterprise
Service Pack 1
Intel® Core™ i5-4590 CPU @ 3.30 GHz
64-bit Operating System

Brave 0.13.2
libchromiumcontent 54.0.2840.100
Muon 2.0.19
Node.js 7.0.0
os.arch x64
os.platform win32
os.release 6.1.7601
rev 25b1199
Update Channel dev
V8 5.4.500.41

Home computer (slow):
Windows 10 Pro
Version 1607
OS Build 14393.693
AMD Phenom™ II X4 955 Processor 3.20 GHz
64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
4 GB RAM

Brave 0.13.2
rev 25b1199
Muon 2.0.19
libchromiumcontent 54.0.2840.100
V8 5.4.500.41
Node.js 7.0.0
Update Channel dev
os.platform win32
os.release 10.0.14393
os.arch x64

I would recommend you to upgrade to 8gb ram but I don’t think that it is what’s making it slow… To test just press ctrl+alt+del and go in to task manager and see how much you are using the CPU and memory :wink:

Hi @dd7. Start time being slow is being addressed here

Do you have large number of bookmarks loaded in your home PC?

Jacalz, I’ve looked at task manager and didn’t notice anything shocking about different memory usage. I’m at work and just imported all browser data (see sriram’s post), opened the same tabs in each browser, and got this:
Brave: 804 MB
Chrome: 897 MB
Firefox: 828 MB
Is it different at home? I’ll check later and report back.

sriram, good point. I read your post and imported everything from Chrome (almost identical bookmarks as Firefox). It does slow Brave down. Not nearly as bad as at home, but noticeable.
I really don’t need all the bookmarks. When I get home, I’ll delete all bookmarks from Brave to see if that’s the problem there. They can stay on other browsers for now.
Thanks for the note about start time. I also saw that when I did a search before posting. The slow start time is a minor issue. I listed it for completeness, but it doesn’t really matter if I just keep the browser open.
The bigger issue is general speed: if I notice a delay when I open/load/switch/move/close tabs or try typing in the address bar, that affects how much I use Brave.

Will update later with home testing.

Does this happen with or without having bookmarks? Could try creating a new profile and check if it still happens? You can follow the steps here to backup your profile

I’m not sure how to make a new profile, so I just deleted all my bookmarks. Brave is much faster. Still a little lag when I type too fast in this box, but everything regarding the tabs is fine.
For those curious, my home computer showed this memory usage for the same open tabs:
Brave 817 MB
Chrome 787 MB
Firefox 515 MB (not sure why this was so low)

Once I deleted all bookmarks, I could use Brave with more tabs open and taking up more memory (~1 GB), and it was still an improvement over previously. So, I assume it was my massive bookmark load slowing things down…or a combination of that and hardware. Not a big deal. Maybe I’ll add back a few essential bookmarks later.

Thanks for your help, Jacalz and sriram.

Thanks for the confirmation @dd7. I have logged an issue for the performance of browser when large amount of bookmarks are imported. You can track the issue here

Closing this thread for now.