Syncing across devices

sync

Trying to sync my devices. I read your instructions for windows but when adding the extension , --enable-brave-sync, to the target line I get this: The name “C:\Program Files (x86)\BraveSoftware\Brave-Browser\Application\brave.exe”–enable-brave-sync" specified in the Target box is not valid. Make sure the path and file name are correct.

What do I do?

Windows 10 with 64 bit

Hi @Oznell,
Which Brave version that you use?

Thanks
:slightly_smiling_face:

Hello,

Sorry for late reply but I was out sick.

My version: Version 0.58.18 Chromium: 71.0.3578.98 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Thanks for the confirmation @Oznell,
I’m able to enable Sync in Brave Release 0.58.21.

Did you put single space in between brave.exe" and --enable-brave-sync?

So it should be C:\Program Files (x86)\BraveSoftware\Brave-Browser\Application\brave.exe” --enable-brave-sync.

cc @Mattches

@eljuno is correct here - that invalid path error will disappear if you put a space between the ending quotation mark (") and the first two dashes in the flag.

Thanks for updated guidance.

Comments:

• Sync capability – at this moment – appears to be only for bookmarks (not, e.g., for extension preferences).

• Sync – at this moment – adds all the source bookmarks to the existing target bookmarks. For me, this results in redundancies / duplications on a target computer.

Suggestions:

Offer sync options, e.g.:

• “sync” copies new / updated bookmarks both ways, also re-naming and deleting, retaining most recent entries;

• “echo” copies new / updated bookmarks from source to target, renaming and deleting target bookmarks as needed so they match the source; and

• “contribute”: copies new / updated bookmarks from source to target, renaming target bookmarks as needed so they match the source; no deletions.

For me, this was implied, but perhaps it’s worth adding: to disable sync, enter the same command line but replace “enable” with “disable”.

@redbike9,
Would you mind moving this reply to the “Feedback” category?