Sync with someone else's browser by accident

Description of the issue:

I was working experimenting with syncing across a number of machines i have, and one of my syncs included an “iPad” - except I don’t own an iPad.

It turns out I had a sync chain with someone I’ve never met in Alberta and now I have all their bookmarks mixed in with mine and I presume mine is mixed in with theirs. This is an issue as some of the information is private and confidential. It’s also an issue having to go through the outsider’s bookmarks and remove them.

I created a sync and it happened. I left that sync chain and redid the sync with my other devices and it seems to be working.

Steps to Reproduce (add as many as necessary): 1. 2. 3.

Actual Result (gifs and screenshots are welcome!):

Expected result:

Reproduces how often:

Has only happened once.

Operating System and Brave Version(See the About Brave page in the main menu):

Was working on Windows 10.

Additional Information:

This also just happened to me. I was typing the sync code from my phone into my browser. When I added it, it showed my computer along with a device name I had never seen. I immediately removed my device from it, but just looked at my bookmarks and realized half of them are not mine at all. It also only happened once on Ubuntu, running Brave version 1.2.43

What’s worse is I can’t get rid of this other person’s bookmarks. I’ve cleaned them all up repeatedly and the “sync” keeps bringing them back.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.