Sync V2 Causing Duplicated Bookmarks

I decided to play around with Sync V2. I installed nightly on my Windows PC and then also in a Windows VM. I started a Sync chain between my PC and the VM. All went fine on the initial syncing to the Nightly in VM.

I deleted some bookmarks on my PC. Then opened up Nightly on the VM a minute or so later. I noticed that the folder that I had deleted bookmarks in on my PC was empty on the VM. Same with two other folders, which I hadn’t touched on my PC or in the VM. Those were empty.

I left the Sync Chain in the VM, while still keeping the bookmarks. Then I re-joined the Sync Chain on my VM. I gave it a minute or two. I then noticed on my PC that I had bookmarks duplicated. For instance, my App Updates had 2 of every bookmark that was in the folder before. Same with my “School” folder as well. It then synced to my VM and those same folders, App Updates and School, had the same duplicated entries and a folder that is in App Updates on my PC is not there on my VM.

I know Sync v2 is still being developed and in Nightly, so I don’t expect it to be perfect. Just wanted to make this post on my issue and give some more info on how I went about it and how I got duplicated favorites.

Thank you!

Edit:
Nightly Version on my PC: Version 1.12.48 Chromium: 83.0.4103.116 (Official Build) nightly (64-bit)

Nightly Version on my VM: Version 1.12.48 Chromium: 83.0.4103.116 (Official Build) nightly (64-bit)

1 Like

I am having this same issue. The two Brave Nightly instances that I added to the sync chain had almost identical bookmarks before I began the sync as well - then they were duplicated.

@JMOnlineiOS Have you tried deleting the duplicates on one of the two instances in the sync chain? I have not tried that but curious if sync would remove the duplicates on the other instance as well. I’ll give it a try later when I have time.

Mac OS v1.12.58

Update: Deleting the duplicate bookmarks in one browser successfully synced to the other computer on the sync chain to remove duplicates everywhere.

When I synced desktop today for the very first time, all bookmarks on the bookmark bar got duplicated in both places. There had been no bookmarks previously on the target machine. Other bookmark folders were not duplicated. When I deleted the duplicates on the source machine, most of the duplicates were also deleted on the target, but not all.