Sync stops working randomly and cannot be restarted without new sync chain. (Bookmarks no longer syncing, send to device no longer working reliably either.)

I wasn’t sure whether my desktop or laptop were most-used. Turns out to be pretty close. On my desktop, that code gave me 30995. On my personal laptop, 30850. On my work machine (another laptop), 23502. Looks like I should cut back on my casual surfing when I’m supposed to be working.

Edit to add: Updated my work laptop to the latest version, got 24747 this time with no other browsing activity in between.

1 Like

Hello, I’m new around here.

For about a month now, my devices (two PCs and a mobile) haven’t been syncing. I’m glad I found this thread at least; I was going crazy thinking it was just me. Device syncing seems fundamental in any browser, and it should be given the priority it deserves.
In my case, it’s true that I have a lot of bookmarks—I’ve been using them my whole life on Chrome, and I think I have around 10k. Anyway, until about a month ago, everything was fine; now there’s no way to fix this issue.

A question, if you don’t mind:

I’ve continued saving pages to bookmarks, even though they aren’t synced. If the bug were to be fixed now, would each device have its own bookmarks plus those from the other devices? Or how are these cases resolved? I use folders and bookmarks a lot for personal reasons, and I want to ensure I don’t lose anything.

Thank you very much, and I hope you find a solution soon.

Best regards.

EDIT:
I wrote the message days ago, but it has been published now. Just wanted to mention that the issue fixed itself (I didn’t touch anything, not even created a new thread). Regards!

1 Like

Be sure to back up and export your bookmarks manually! Mine got mixed up when I did a new sync chain on all my devices.

The best bet is to delete the sync chain and then uninstall brave on every device except the main/seed device that has the most up to date bookmarks. Start a new sync chain and add the “new” devices with the newly reinstalled clean versions of brave.

Have been plagued by this issue for a couple of months now. Last week sync suddenly started working again, but only for a few days and it is now showing the same TRANSIENT_ERROR as before. historyItems.length=41866 on my main PC. Apparently some items are still syncing properly (i.e. Search Engines) but Bookmarks and History are definitely not syncing and this is causing a major headache for me

My sync is failing again…
It’s been going well for a couple of weeks.

Every once in a while, I see the yellow non-working boxes on the sync internals page again… but just on the mobile browser. Once I exit Brave and open it again, it restarts and is green. (And works.) I’ll try to take a screen shot next time.