Sync Passwords Across Multiple Devices

Brave is awesome, but I do suffer from lack of sync as well. Even Firefox can sync now, leaving Brave as a little browser kid trying to be cool, but can’t. Seriously, please guys, make it truly sync passwords, addresses, cards and extensions.

For password sync I’ve started only just with Remembear, but it’s not for free.
Works fine with multiple pc and my android phone though…

+1
Just found out about Brave yesterday and I’m super excited for its future. However, I was holding off recommending Brave to everyone I know just in case I found something that was really lacking, and well, here it is. The syncing is terrible right now. As far as I can tell, it’s just bookmarks.

2 Likes

I think this can be merged with other sync requests,
Passwords, Home Pins/Bookmarks, Open Tabs, Settings, History.

1 Like

I’ve tested a few external password managers and can fully recommend https://bitwarden.com/.

It supports the Autofill and as a user of Windows+Mac+iPhone+Android I love it.

One can export all passwords from Chrome to Bitwarden and then disable built-in password saving.

Less complicated crypto sync code in Brave -> profit.

1 Like

+1 Full sync is the only thing keeping me from switching from edge

1 Like

It is important to have the sync, but it need to be done in the most cautious way. For instance, the password sync chain need to be estabilished with prompting public key fingerprint, and the data packets need to transferred P2P instead of through server. Basically even the encrypted passwords should not ever exist on cloud.

This is probably the missing feature that would attract the most users once implemented.
Can’t you have anything simple to start from, that does not depend on implementing your own syncing mechanism? If so, the user could rely on his own syncing mechanism (Syncthing for example), to synchronize a folder containing his complete profile (favorites, addons, passwords, settings…). Of course this data would be encrypted.

I can thing of a series of steps like:
Inside brave, click on Users->Add existing->From file

• “Please enter passphrase”: user passphrase
    Imported!

Doesn’t it make sense?

This is what sometimes makes me think of going back to Chrome… I love Brave, I’ll give it more time to develop, but they really need to work on this. Otherwise just the BATs and build in ad-blocker aren’t going to keep me here.

It can be really frustrating if I want to login to a website where I use a randomly generated password and I cannot log in because my laptop Brave passwords are not synced with my Desktop Brave passwords… :confused:

1 Like

Absolutely need this feature. I found this thread after just trying out Brave and tried in on my Android phone with the sync… only to realize it doesn’t sync passwords. At least Opera syncs passwords between my desktop computers and laptop, even if the Android app fails at it.

Brave feels like a good idea but I agree with others that if it lacks that feature it feels like a step backwards.

I support this. There isn’t even the option to import passwords that were exported from desktop.

I just want the bookmark sync to work. Not against this but I hope the bookmark syncing gets fixed.

It’s the only reason for me not to completely move to Brave: Password-Sync is a must have in these days…

1 Like

Definitely agree we need this. There is a workaround. You can export and import your passwords across PC and Mac. You can do the same for laptop to desktop and vice versa. However, I do not see a way to do this on any mobile device.

So yeah, there is a workaround, it’s not automatic, and it requires turning on features in “brave://flags” but it can be done.

I agree, however, we desperately need password sync to be automated and real-time. Not having the ability to do this is causing me to look closely at returning to chrome.

1 Like

Keep in mind that Brave is a browser built on protecting users and their data. Syncing passwords across devices is a big security challenge and should not be rushed into or taken lightly.

Some may think they want that ease of access but would blame Brave if their accounts were breached. Good things take time. Please have patience. :grin:

1 Like

Not having a full synchronization set is weak at best. For any modern browser to not sync bookmarks, passwords, extensions, settings, preferences, the weather, etc. and whatever else is just poor implementation on the part of the developers. There’s really no excuse. This is why I practically no one uses this browser. Literally less than 1% of the market share.
People are hungry for an alternative to Chrome. But Brave is just another half-baked sorry excuse and poor attempt to be that replacement.
It was on my machine for less than an hour. As soon as I realized the synchronisation ability sucked at life I uninstalled it.
Opera is much closer, but even it has its major annoyances.

Agreed. I had to go back to Opera just because of this one missing feature. I need everything synced at work and at home. It’s great to just be able to install a browser on any new computer, sign in to sync, and have everything saved and working easily.

This browser has promise because the load times are faster than most browsers, but I created this thread in March and we still don’t have even a slated timeline for this feature. If there was a timeline, one could wait, but it’s like it’s not even on the radar.

1 Like

Yeah I’m about to go back to Chrome as the Devs are not taking these feature requests seriously.

1 Like

Absolutely needed feature to allow me to transition from Chrome.

Really considering going back to Chrome which sync logins across all my devices. Otherwise I am happy with Brave.