Sync Open Tabs doesn't seem to work between two Androids at all

Description of the issue:

I made sync chain of two Android devices: a smartphone (Brave from Play, 1.57.50), and e-reader (no Google Account there, Brave is installed from github releases, 1.57.53). My goal is to read using e-reader my tabs previously open on smartphone.

I realized after reading this forum that “Sync open tabs” is rather a misnomer as it doesn’t sync exactly open tabs, but at least I expect to see “tabs from other device” in History - and there’s no such thing at all. It shows just plain history. It is the smartphone’s history as I haven’t open anything on e-reader so far, but it’s not helpful for the goal stated. No way to differentiate between open, and already closed URLs, no tabs grouping. If I go to “Recent tabs” instead of “History” there I can see my smartphone’s model as a separate category, but it only contains recent (unsurprisingly) tabs. Say, out of 50 tabs on smartphone (yes, I’m that kind of guy) I can see 5. And no grouping either.

How can this issue be reproduced?

I followed normal sync chain creation procedure as provided by Sync option. Sync all is selected on bith devices.

Expected result:

Possibility to all/any of open tabs from smartphone to be added on e-reader, not just recent ones. And preferably preserving tab groups.

Brave Version( check About Brave):

Smartphone (Brave from Play, 1.57.50), E-reader (no Google Account there, Brave is installed from github releases, 1.57.53)

Mobile Device details

Samsung A50
Onyx Boox

Additional Information:

Sure it does. It sees what your open tabs are and allows you to open them on another device. If you’re expecting it to automatically open or navigate across multiple devices, then that’s just a wrong expectation. But they do sync across devices and allows you to open at will.

I just tested between my iPhone, Desktop, and Android. Every single open tab I have shows across. I made sure to open more than 50 tabs on each. Actually 53 tabs or so. Every single tab showed up and was visible on each device. Just keep in mind the sync happens like once every 3-5 minutes. So if you just opened them all, it might need to wait a bit before it appears on the list.

That’s just on Desktop. open tabs are shown in History under Tabs from other devices, which is located at brave://history/syncedTabs.

On Android that list is instead shown under Recent Tabs in the hamburger menu.

On iPhone when you hit the little square to view open tabs, there’s a Tabs from Other Devices button on the upper right.

So yeah, it’s a bit annoying how the feature is in a different location depending on the device but it’s all there.

One thing to be clear is History will only track typed URL. So if you click on a link I provide, it won’t show in History for your other devices. It will show as an open tab if it’s still open, but once you close that link it’ll only be visible on the History for the device that just viewed it. So if you’re trying to look at History and expect it to have everything, that’s not going to be the case.

Yeah, this seems to be something not done yet. Might want to create it in a Android Requests posting for developers to see.

@Mattches would there be any issues with sync or other features on Brave if someone installs on a de-googled device (if that’s what their e-reader is). Or any issue from manually installing from Github release?

And on tab groups, I can’t get those to sync. It’s just all tabs. Is there a setting anywhere or that just doesn’t exist yet?

Thanks for your reply, and for clarifications wrt Android/iOS/desktop differences! It makes the whole picture much more clear certainly.

If you’re expecting it to automatically open or navigate across multiple devices, then that’s just a wrong expectation

With all respect, I cannot see even a slightest possibility to agree with this statement. The feature is literally called “Sync open tabs” so my expectation to have open tabs synced across devices is not unreasonable at all. According to your description instead it just helps to overview URLs of open tabs on another device as a flat list - that’s for sure better than nothing, but it’s not what the name advertizes. Loss of structural information (groups) means it really doesn’t even let me sync tabs manually.

I just tested between my iPhone, Desktop, and Android. […] Every single tab showed up and was visible on each device.

Doesn’t work for me, regretfully. I guess I should file a bug.

Just keep in mind the sync happens like once every 3-5 minutes. So if you just opened them all, it might need to wait a bit before it appears on the list.

No, exactly old tabs are not present. I see only really recent ones (i.e. opened on the same day I created the sync chain).

I got how it works: it won’t show any open tab unless it was accessed recently. After I clicked through a bunch of older tabs on the smartphone - they appeared on e-reader.

So the feature is simply incorrectly named: neither it’s about syncing tabs, nor even about pesenting other device’s tabs listed for manual opening. A proper name would be something like “Sync recently opened URLs”. Really just another take on history syncing with added sorting per device. Not useless by itself, just confusingly detached from the promise created by the current name.

@BigSaucer,
Sorry for the troubles. On my end, I’m able to see all the open tabs from my desktop on my mobile devices that are Synced with it. I do not have to access/use the tabs in order for them to appear. It may be specific to the Onyx Boox, as I’ve never seen anyone use this device (and this is my first time hearing about it) so I doubt that it’s been considered during development. I will see if the team has any suggestions.

1 Like

I am using 2 android tablets and I am facing the same as @BigSaucer where only recently opened tabs on tablet A (old) are shown in tablet B under Recent Tabs. For the already opened tabs in tablet A, I need to refresh them.

It should have a menu of its own, instead of lumping it under Recent Tabs.

I am using v 1.56.20 on tablet A and 1.57.53 on tablet B

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.