Sync not working on new M2 MBA w/Ventura

I just received a new M2 MacBook Air, running macOS 13.0.1. I used Migration Assistant to migrate data, but not applications from my old 2017 era MacBook Pro running macOS 12.6.1. As part of standing up the new MBA, I installed Brave fresh from download. When I started up Brave on the new machine, it came up with all my previous tabs and tab groups, but sync is not working. I get this warning:

Brave could not access your operating system’s safe storage. This is what’s used to secure data such as passwords and cookies; it’s also required for Brave Sync to connect your browser profile between devices. This means Brave Sync is not running. To resolve this issue, please see the Brave Sync troubleshooting guide.

I have a sync chain set up between all my other devices, which works fine.

I went through the article referenced above, and also tried the steps in this previous discussion. Nothing I do seems to be able to get sync working. I’m at a loss to know how to get sync working on this new machine.

I get the warning message every time I start Brave.

Brave version: 1.46.140

I have sync working fine on my 2018 era Mac Mini (running 12.6.1) and on various mobile devices, all running up-to-date iOS versions, and up-to-date Brave versions.

What else can I try to get sync working on this new machine? I wonder if the problems are related to macOS 13, Apple Silicon, or whatever magic Migration Assistant performed. TIA!

Hello @pumpichank

Thanks for bringing this to our attention and sorry to hear you’re having trouble with Brave. in order to use Sync, you’ll need to have the update for both/all devices on the chain. Can you check and see if you have received/are using the latest Brave version?

Be waiting for your response!

Hi @Alice2095 and thanks for responding! I currently have two macOS devices on my sync chain, trying to add a third macOS devices (my iOS devices are not yet on the chain). All desktop browsers are running Brave 1.46.140 but I still see the “Brave could not access your operating system’s safe storage” message on the third macOS device.

I’ve tried everything I could think of. @Alice2095 what else can I try? Thanks!

Well, I think I “fixed” this by creating a new Profile on the machine with the sync problems. Then the Sync setting warning went away and I was able to join my previous sync chain. No idea what the original problem was.

Hi @pumpichank

Thank you very much to let it me know the solution and I’m happy that the issue is solved, if you have any additional question let us know! Have a great day! :wave:

1 Like