Sync not working after reset


I successfully synced my PC and surface once using Brave, but since I reset both the syncs, I have not been able to re-establish sync.


after several further attempts, the sync did work, but bookmarks have not synced. even though the sync screen indicates syncs have occurred.


Reading other threads, it seems a new version of Sync is in the works which may make this comment moot.

I wrangle a few machines (desktop and laptop), all with Windows 7, one 32-bit, the others 64-bit.

I tried Brave’s Sync option dating back to at least v0.19.??, perhaps earlier, but no more recently than Oct 2017.

The first Sync operation from a desktop to a laptop more or less worked. Subsequent attempts to update failed.

What I then did: I used Brave’s “Bookmarks | Export Bookmarks…” function to create an HTML file of bookmarks and cut-and-pasted from this file on the target machines. This is clumsy.

What would help make Sync useful:

An unambiguous designation of “source” and “target” is essential.

A short unambiguous selection of options is also essential, including:
“copy” is one-way and updates the target to match what’s new / changed on the source; and
“exchange” makes source and target match each other, keeping the latest changes on both.


This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.