Sync extensions across devices

Dude, Don’t change it’s not only Extensions that doesn’t sync it’s literally everything except bookmarks. That’s the only thing that syncs, I installed the beta version and it wanted me to set everything up again. That’s when i went back to Chrome.

1 Like

We don’t know that’s why we are asking the dev’s but they are not responding.

1 Like

I posted this as a feature request here:

3 Likes

Still no news on this one?

I can’t leave firefox without this.

Great job going on at brave. Thanks alot!

1 Like

+1 for sync features that Chrome has!

2 Likes

Much needed feature. Brave not only needs to match chrome but take it a step further

1 Like

one year 3 moths later and still not fixed. Would love to move to Brave but still the browser needs to make my workday easier not harder. If you only use one device then this is fine but if you are like most of us. This has a hugely negative impact to usability.

1 Like

Yeah… sad to see feature is still not available. Is it something planned to be added at all?

1 Like

The company has provided info on their plans on Reddit:

1 Like

This is already available in nightly version. It will come to stable in future updates, it’s just matter of time

1 Like

That brought the breakthrough - nothing more is necessary.
All extensions (39 in my case) were loaded into Brave Nightly within a quarter of an hour, whereas without this tool it took an hour or more from Brave to Firefox the day before.

2 Likes

Now, this a great idea. Can not wait for it to become a thing because this will possibly bring extensions to mobile too.

1 Like

Still no auto-install extensions on a new device on sync. I’m coming from a Firefox and honestly, was amazed that brave doesn’t support such an essential feature. It’s a real pain to manually install extensions on every new device. Also, an ability to have a sync of created profiles would be really good too, so I don’t have to recreate my work profile every time.

Iv’e never experienced that problem with Brave. Be it Windows or Linux, I got all of my extensions across my devices. Maybe because I have only four extensions now.

1 Like

For me, the only thing that works is bookmarks sync and settings for extensions (not extensions themself). Everything else is not syncing. No options, no extensions, no open tabs, no history… nothing. And yes, on every device in my sync chain I had enabled Sync everything option.

EDIT: Ok, so history from other devices is available under history, but the rest stands.

I’ve checked brave://sync-internals/ and indeed it seems like the feature is there but it’s not working. As you can see there are many synced categories (bookmarks, sessions, extension settings) but for the extension, there are 0 total entries which shouldn’t be the case because I have extensions installed.

@VAPG1974 Could you confirm that you have any items in the extensions (not extensions settings)?

I’ve had success with syncing extensions for a while now, at least between Windows devices.

BUT, 1.32.106 has a known bug where all extensions appear to be ‘not from the Web store.’ I wonder if that could be impacting this, perhaps a device will refuse to auto-install an extension when instructed to do so by the Sync config.

I believe this will be fixed in the next release within the next few days, maybe it would make sense to revisit this once that issue is resolved.

BTW I feel the same way regarding this.

I made a post a while back about this, with a possible way of dealing with this: Equivalent of Multi-Account Containers or Temporary Containers Extension (FF) - #13 by JimB1

However I admittedly haven’t tested it yet. If you give it a shot please let us know how it works out.

Regarding multi profiles setup, I’ve just created a new sync chain for it. It does its job (however extension sync doesn’t work as well there).

I can sync bookmarks between my macOS and Windows machine, but it doesn’t seem like the extensions or passwords (among others) between these two devices.

Is this normal?

Setting up a new macOS machine using the sync key was able to port everything over. Not so much with the new Windows machine.

Bookmarks sync fine though.