Sync creates multiples of bookmarks

Description of the issue:

Installed Brave on my two laptops, synced to my desktop, I now have three sets of the exact same bookmarks, folders, etc.

Steps to Reproduce (add as many as necessary): 1. 2. 3.

1. installed brave on each laptop - Kubuntu 22.04
  2. sync new device
  3. upon full sync I have one set of bookmarks for each device
  4. when either restarting or waking from sleep, I now have two extra
    sets of bookmarks on each device

Reproduces how often:

Just on install of new device
[
Brave Version(See the About Brave page in the main menu):

Version 1.65.114 Chromium: 124.0.6367.60 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Same on all three devices

Type of devices currently running on the Sync chain in question:
One desktop, two laptops, all three are Kubuntu 22.04

Additional Information:

I’m unsure this is going to help.

My experience: browsers implement sync similarly. Using a browser’s ‘sync’ service, I can’t designate what’s the source and what’s the target. The result is what you’ve described: multiple instances of the same bookmarks.

And no, though I’ve searched, I’m unaware of a linux-based solution.

(“Linux-based” - this is in parentheses because it’s … parenthetic. Historically - under Windows - I used SyncToy which was a Microsoft (Windows only) utility to synchronize ~/Users/AppData/Local/BraveSoftware/Brave-browser/User Data/ across different Windows installations. In linux, that same data appear to be root/home/UserName/.config/BraveSoftware/Brave-Browser/Default but I’ve not found a SyncToy-like linux-based utility to selectively replace only older with newer entries. Also, networking linux 'puters isn’t as transparent as in Windows. Which is to say: this appears to be more nearly a linux rather than a Brave problem. If someone has a suggestion…)

Since this “sync” is specifically in Brave, it is the Brave team who will need to address this.

Agreed.

From time to time, other users e.g. (most recently):

comment about ‘Sync’ duplicating bookmarks but Brave seems to view Sync as working-as-intended.

As noted, using Brave’s ‘Sync’, I’ve experienced duplicate bookmarks too … and that’s why I opted to reply and keep the topic active.

Is the sync working as intended when on a new device with fresh install of Brave it creates a set of bookmarks from the original device and then creates a second duplicate set on the original which then creates a second duplicate set back on the laptop? Neither firefox nor vivaldi do this on their sync setups. Other than one can say - yes - it is syncing, it is not working properly.