Sync Code Not Recognized on Second PC

Description of the issue:
Updated to 1.12 on my Win7 work PC, got my new Sync Code, copied it exactly into a text file, went home to my Linux Mint machine, updated to 1.12, pasted code, told “Invalid sync code.” I cannot get past this screen on my home PC. Neither a restart nor a reboot changed the behavior. With both previous versions of Sync, I had no issue syncing between Windows and Linux PC’s.

Steps to Reproduce (add as many as necessary)
See above.

Reproduces how often:
Every time I try to enter my Sync Code.

Brave Version(See the About Brave page in the main menu):
v 1.12.112 on Linux Mint, also 1.12 on Win 7 (the main PC)

Type of devices currently running on the Sync chain in question:
Windows 7 Pro 64-bit

Additional Information:
Machine where code won’t be accepted is Linux Mint 19.2 “Tina” MATE 64-bit

Sorry for the inconvenience @KoHoSo, can’t seem to reproduce this on my Ubuntu machine, but I know sometimes there are challenges with Mint Linux. Checking with the team to see if they have it handy to check.

1 Like

Talked to the team, could you double check that there are no trailing spaces in the code pasted in?

2 Likes

I assure you, I TRIPLE checked for that. There were no trailing spaces on any line, and all words were complete.

In case nothing else comes up between now and Monday, here is what I am going to try. Like the previous version of Sync, I will set my Linux Mint machine at home as the first device (I did the Win7 one at work this time because it has the more updated version of my bookmarks). Then, on Monday when I return to work, I will disconnect the Win7 PC from its current code and then see if it will sync as the second. Not that I’m an expert but that’s really all I can think of trying. Considering the long history I’ve had with Brave, it seems odd at this point that it would fuss over being on Linux Mint.

@KoHoSo,
I apologize for the inconvenience here but we do appreciate the testing you’re doing. Please let me know if it works using the methods you described – I’m reaching out to some Sync folks to see what ideas they have in the interim that may resolve your issue.

1 Like

Thanks! I know this stuff isn’t easy with all the possible combinations of computers and platforms and trying to track it all down with a small team. That’s why I’ve never completely given up on Brave even though, at times, I had to let it rest for a while. ;^)

2 Likes

@KoHoSo,
Can you check and confirm that you have the correct timezone selected on both PCs?

Yes, both PC’s are correctly set to Pacific Time.

I can now report that doing this in the other direction – starting the chain on my Linux Mint rig and then adding my Win7 one at work – has Sync working correctly (just FYI, it is not my choice to still be running Win7). As I look to clean things up between the two, I really like that, with one exception I have found so far, the bookmarks unique to the second PC show up below the ones that match from the first. This makes it pretty easy to get rid of duplicates (most left over from the previous version of Sync) or ones I removed from the #1 PC.

My Android phone still hasn’t synced but I see there are already threads on that offering possible solutions. I’ll mess with that later and, if needed, post in the appropriate thread.

Aside from being so happy Sync is back and that I can apparently drop Chromium and Google Chrome for the final time, I am extremely pleased with how Brave is performing overall. The team seems to have improved a lot of little issues from when I last used Brave full-time. If this continues to hold true, I might finally try to jump into Brave Rewards.

Thanks! You can consider this thread solved.

1 Like