Switching linux desktop environment, started a new session of brave

I recently switched to KDE from gnome on my kali machine. Interestingly post switching when I opened my brave browser, it started with a welcome guide, which we see when we freshly install brave.
It was not aware of bookmarks, saved passwords nothing.

1. Use the brave browser on gnome and have bookmarks, saved passwords, etc.
  2. Install new desktop env(KDE) or maybe check with Xfce as well.
  3. Login into the new desktop env and open brave.

Since brave have pre-saved user data, it should process the same. Or maybe this works as expected and my expectation might be too high :smiley: . Then is there any better way to do this?

for this I had to export my saved passwords in CSV and upload it in new env brave. For bookmarks, I need to use chrome as a sync bridge between 2 desktop env separated brave.

Brave Version 1.37.116 Chromium: 100.0.4896.127 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Description: Kali GNU/Linux Rolling
Release: 2022.1
Kernel: 5.16.0-kali7-amd64

Do you not use Brave’s sync system? I recently switched from xfce to Budgie to back in Manjaro and using the sync chain saved me a lot of time and effort.

@cynical13 I was under impression that the sync system will sync my tabs across the device and not other things. So, can I use the sync chain and still have different sets of saved passwords, bookmarks & tabs for different devices?

BTW is it expected to see a new session when changing desktop env? @cynical13

If you synced your passwords and bookmarks, you’d have the same set on all of your devices. You can select what items you sync. I snapped a picture of what items you can sync from the settings menu.

It makes sense that you might see that start menu pop up when you make a major change to your system like that. I reformatted my installs and loaded a fresh installation onto my laptop when I changed DEs so I didn’t have competing files destabilizing things.

1 Like

thanks. make sense. Let me give it a try. :+1:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.