'Suspend' tab function

A great addition to Brave would be a built-in ‘suspend tab’ function such as that offered by third-party extensions like The Great Suspender.

When a tab is suspended all of the memory it was using is released back to the system (at least it appears that way in Task Manager).

The suspended state allows the tab to be reopened much more quickly than if it had been closed.

That, together with general tab management also built-in, would be the most useful enhancements of all that relate to primary browser functions, imho.

(The other would be the one I already submitted re enabling right-clicking on a tab to allow an option to move the tab to another already-open window.)

Thanks.

3 Likes

Especially since the Great Suspender has become a suspect extension. Similar features now exist natively in Chrome and Edge.

2 Likes

@ehill Noted the same in this post:

Microsoft has reportedly offered “sleeping tabs” which, as the name suggests, allows resources to be released to the system.

Generally, I believe an inherent feature like this would be immensely useful. I’m guilty of having so many tabs open, despite my efforts otherwise and attempts to organize them. There have been extensions and other efforts to create something like this – will we see something like this built-in to the Brave browser?

2 Likes