Suggestions To Improve Brave

Hey everyone, I gave up on firefox and decided to continue browsing the internet using Brave just yesterday. Very thankful this browser exists! That said, there’s a few things about the User Interface I dislike so I’ll just lay them out here and see if anyone feels the same way.

1. Bookmarks: From what I’ve seen there’s two options for accessing bookmarks. Bookmark manager isn’t a quick option since it opens up a new tab. The other option is a dropdown at the top of the screen, which isn’t very intuitive since it doesn’t show any website icons. I personally miss having my bookmarks accessible through a sidebar which I can toggle with ctrl+b. This option also makes adjusting the list a simple endeavor without the use of the bookmark manager.

2. Tabs: From using other browsers, I grew accustomed to the way tabs worked. While it is possible in Brave to drag a tab into its own window, it does not seem possible to merge the windows back together. This can be pretty aggravating since it’s easy to accidentally drag a tab into its own window.
    EDIT: Apparently it is possible to drag a tab over to another the window, but you have to specifically drag it on the “+” sign? That’s not very intuitive so I hope that will be changed in the future

3. Dragging: Likewise, it is not possible to drag an image or link into a new tab. Neither is it possible to drag selected text into the url bar. Stuff like this can really speed up your browsing experience. Something else I really like to do is drag a url onto my desktop to create a shortcut file to the website. Again, this is not something you can do in Brave.

4. Shortcuts: I’ve tried opening .url files with Brave but instead of heading for the requested website, the browser opens a new tab that reveals the code within the shortcut file. This only happens when Brave isn’t running. If I already have tabs open, accessing a .url file does nothing at all.

5. .Gif Files: I always open animated gifs using my browser but when I do it with Brave I run into a problem. Brave is only capable of opening these files when the browser is closed. In case Brave is already running, it does not show the file.

Hi @CamSpotterNL thanks for the feedback and I’m sorry for late response. :slight_smile:

1. Please check Preferences > General > Bookmarks bar section and choose “Text and Favicon” or “Favicon only”.
  1. Currently drop area is before + button and between tabs.

1. The team is working on improvements IIRC. :slight_smile:
  1. I’ll take a look at this. Thanks for reporting.
  1. Is this still happen in latest release? Since it works for me.

And I’ve question. Is this like “I open gif file from my computer in Brave”? Did Ctrl+O and choose the gif file works?

Thanks,
:slight_smile:

Please check Preferences > General > Bookmarks bar section and choose “Text and Favicon” or “Favicon only”.

Thanks, I did not know about this. You might want to consider making that the default setting.

Currently drop area is before + button and between tabs.

A lot better already! Why is it impossible to drop tabs to the right of the + though?

The team is working on improvements IIRC. :slight_smile:

Nice! I’m looking forward to it!

the browser opens a new tab that reveals the code within the shortcut file.

I’ll take a look at this. Thanks for reporting.

Here’s what it looks like when I open a url file:

[{000214A0-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}]
Prop3=19,11
[InternetShortcut]
URL=https://community.brave.com/t/suggestions-to-improve-brave/8127/2
IDList=

Like I said, it only happens when the browser isn’t already running. When the browser is already running, it moves onto that window, but ignores the fact that it should be opening a file.

Is this like “I open gif file from my computer in Brave”? Did Ctrl+O and choose the gif file works?

Ctrl + O works perfectly. Rightclicking a .gif file and opting to open the file with brave is what is giving me trouble (I open these files with my browser by detault. Right now I’m using IE instead). I can only open a .gif file with Brave if it is not already running. In the scenario Brave is running, it just moves onto the Brave window but ignores my instruction (the very same thing happens with .url files).

Not sure if anyone is still checking this thread but I just wanted to point out a few other things. Recently I installed Brave on a laptop running on Windows 8 and it appears I can open .url files with no problem there (I haven’t tried .gif files). I thought me not being able to open them on desktop was a deep seated error which didn’t get repaired through updates. I removed Brave entirely and installed it again but it didn’t change anything. Weird, I wonder what it could be caused by?

Also, I’ll take this opportunity to add a peeve to the list: Brave never remembers my window settings. Whenever Brave opens, it appears to be the same size as the dimensions of my screen but its window is unmaximized and positioned weirdly off center. If I were to change the size of the window, drag it to a new location or maximize before closing the software, it will not remember these settings. It does the same on laptop.

I’m just tagging on with more feedback, since I tried Brave. It’s a nice-looking browser with plenty of potential. The biggest problem is that it’s too slow! On my Win7 Pro 64-bit with an Intel i5-3320M CPU, simply starting the browser requires 8 seconds! More important, when activating URLs outside Brave, Web pages are much slower to appear in Brave than in other Chrome-based browsers. Brave has potential, but speed should be measured from the user’s perspective, from start to finish. When you look at all of the missing features, too, such as customizable search engines, URL aliases, and keyboard shortcuts-- the bread and butter of Web browsers-- Brave doesn’t stack up to just about any modern browser. I might come back when things improve.

Brave works great on my computer but I guess it all depends on the hardware. For the average computer users may experience some lag. Maybe a lite-weight version or alternative start up might solve this issue. @nvonpentz

I would like to see the return of thumbnails. So far, I haven’t seen this issue be addressed by staff. Thumbnails were convenient for re-accessing sites you’ve already been too.

I just recently started Brave and am enjoying it so far, but their are a few things are bothering me that I think might be pretty easy to fix. The dashboard screen is just long enough to warrant a scroll bar on the side, and it makes that screen feel a little unpolished. I’d also like to see a way to minimize the bookmarks bar. It may already be there and I just can’t find it, but when I’m doing regular browsing the top of the screen feels huge. Other than those two small gripes I’ve liked the browser so far.