SUGGESTION + BUG: Pinned tabs slow down all browser

Did you search for similar issues before submitting this one?
Yes but can’t find anyone talking about this specific issue and improvement suggestion.

Describe the issue you encountered:
I use 3 desktop screens each with one browser window open, and each window has some different group of pinned tabs that i use daily in my work methodology to get things done in an organised way.

So, while I was migrating all tabs from chrome over to Brave to test how this cool project performs I noticed:

• Pinned tabs seem to replicate again on new windows. This is not user friendly in my opinion since pinning some tabs on one window, doesn’t mean you want them on another window too.

So, I tried it anyway…due to the feature described above, each window 1, 2 and 3 had to have ALL pinned tabs from each window and its own for me to be able to replicate my usual work set up in Chrome (in chrome tabs are window dependent, not browser dependent). This caused that:

• Moving within tabs became super slow and the browser completely clogged up. I couldn’t do anything anymore. Clicks wouldn’t work anywhere and no tab could be selected.

I also noticed, that even if Brave treats pinned tabs at the browser level, all different windows also had different set of orders on the pinned tabs which is strange. Is the brave browser trying to keep pinned tabs all synched on all windows?

I kept testing this and also noticed that if I set up window 1 with its set of pinned tabs X, then open window 2, which logically as described earlier, the new window had all the same set of pinned tabs X as well.

I now proceeded onto closing pinned tabs X on window 2 and open new set of pinned tabs Y on window 2.

Now I have window 1 with pinned tabs X and window 2 with pinned tabs Y.

I now open window 3 and window 3 and window 1 convert into the set of pinned tabs Y and other tabs get closed automatically.

Conclusion: It seems that brave is trying to keep the windows synched and that is affecting usability and user friendliness. It’s also slowing down massively when you want to open a new window cause all

Platform (Win7, 8, 10? macOS? Linux distro?):
macOS 10.13.4

Brave Version (revision SHA):

Brave 0.22.13
V8 6.5.254.41
rev a8cfb16
Muon 5.1.2
OS Release 17.5.0
Update Channel Release
OS Architecture x64
OS Platform macOS
Node.js 7.9.0
Brave Sync v1.4.2
libchromiumcontent 65.0.3325.181

Steps to reproduce:

Have multiple (around 7) pinned tabs per window. Try to set different set of pinned tabs in different windows and open new windows to see what happens. Also open other non pinned tabs in each window.
Try to switch to another tab by clicking on it. Use the browser and see for yourself how slow it goes.

Will the steps above reproduce in a fresh profile? If not what other info can be added?
Not sure.

Is this an issue in the currently released version?
Yes

Can this issue be consistently reproduced?
Yes

Extra QA steps:

Screenshot if needed:

Any related issues:
None.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.