Strange Problem ( lost internet)

very strange problem

when i open Brave browser, my Internet connection disconnected

and when i close the browser, internet return back to work

i tried to re-install but still have same problem

Hi @albatta,

This sounds like more of a network issue. Have you tried rebooting your router?

Is not. Chrome, Opera, Outlook and other applications works perfectly. Every now and then (2 or 3 hours), Brave loose connection and cannot reconnect again. Sucks

I have this same issue. Its just on my laptop. I open Brave and it fully kicks me off wifi. I have uninstalled brave and reinstalled. I don’t have any other issues. Phones have no issue, other computers have no issue. My main hardwired computer has Brave and has no issue. Its just Brave on my laptop. Drivers are up to date. Settings for connection are correct.

+1 I am also experiencing this issue as it relates to Brave. Intermittently, Brave will somehow cause the network to completely disconnect from the internet and the only way to resolve is to do a full restart of my computer, very frustrating. I have observed it happening when browsing YouTube or TradingView on Brave Browser. I really don’t think this is a network connectivity issue alone - I do think it’s related to Brave Browser.

edit: I have a hunch it’s related to some Windows 10 update as well. I’ve heard other people having a similar issue, although they didn’t have brave, I do think there must be some shared library or some similar line of code that is interacting with the Windows 10 update in a way that causes WiFi to disconnect from the internet and refuse to reconnect. Also, another symptom is that when the internet disconnects, I can’t access the network and sharing center in windows to try and resolve it. It just keeps loading. Whatever is happening appears to make the whole network driver / windows network utility unstable and a hard restart is required.

EDIT2: I needed to uninstall my network driver and windows 10 automatically reinstalled it on restart and that appears to have corrected the issue. I seemed to run into the issue in concurrence with Brave usage, but I think maybe this is not related to Brave and can be resolved otherwise. Hopefully this helps another.