Description of the issue:
How can this issue be reproduced?
- Restart your computer
- something to check your Internet traffic (we need to see incoming and outgoing data sizes)
- Open Brave and look on your Internet traffic
You will see that sometimes the browser “eats” about 15-30MB of Internet data at start with no obvious reason.
I use current version (1.4.95) for Windows (Windows 7 x64), but I noticed the issue when Brave added wallets.
This is not because of Wallets, Rewards or Ads (if these features work correctly), because I tried to disable it and nothing changed. And this is not because of NewTab background images or background apps (I disabled it too).
I use only one extension - Ddict - but I use it on Vivaldi and Opera too, so Ddict cannot be the reason.
Maybe this is because of wrong working of sync (I don’t use sync), because a few updates back Brave fixed something in sync and the issue was solved too, but after a few updates it returned…