Still can't recover my bookmarks

Hi. So since December’s update my bookmarks were deleted and I can’t get them back. I read another post here saying the data shoulnd’t be erased and that it’s located on the system, However, I cannot find it. It’s supposed to be in “./config/brave” (I’m on Ubuntu) but I don’t even have the config folder. I did look into some other folders but I didn’t find anything either. Is there a way to get them back?

@kdnr2374 Thanks for report. You can install latest released version of brave browser 0.58.18 and import the bookmarks from your muon based brave to Brave Browser. Please make sure brave (muon) is closed while importing bookmarks into brave browser.

Thanks!

I wrote an article covering all this information after the migration rolled out:
https://community.brave.com/t/for-users-who-had-issues-migrating-data-from-brave-muon-to-brave-core/39669/4
Should be quite useful for you.

Hopefully I’m making a mistake, but I think I managed to open the old version and the bookmarks were not there

What do you see if you open your terminal and type cd .config?

It selects the folder. I already checked there and there are some files inside the “brave” folder, but a lot of them seem to be blank documents. And nothing bookmark related as far as I know

Can you share a screenshot of the terminal when you enter .config/brave?

It only says:

bash: .config/brave: Is a directory

To confirm, your path (enter pwd to view your path in terminal) should look something like:
/home/UserName/.config/brave/

So from terminal, you should have entered:
cd .config/brave
or
cd .config --> cd brave

Now, can you enter the ls command and share a screenshot of this folder?

Screenshot%20from%202019-01-11%2018-12-53

Thank you!
So this file here, session-store-1
holds your browsing data - including your bookmarks. Can you tell me if that file is empty?

No, it’s not. It has a lot of text in it.

Excellent. So, this means that your bookmarks are not gone. Great news right? Let’s get them into your new Brave install now, shall we?
Follow these instructions to import Brave Muon (old) data into Brave Core (new):

Hmm. I’m trying to but it doesn’t seem to work. I only get the option to select an HTML file, so I made a copy of that and added a .html at the end, but the bookmarks are still not there.

Which Ubuntu distribution?

I’m on Ubuntu 18.04.1

I’d like to quickly make sure we’re all on the same page here. Please correct me if I’m off-base here-

1. You have: “New” Brave build ( likely release build - v0.58.21) installed
  2. You previously had: the “Old” (Muon) Brave build installed that had your browsing data on it
  3. The Old (Muon) Brave has been uninstalled from your machine
  4. Your browsing data however (session-store-1) is still present.
  5. Attempting to import bookmarks/settings using the built-in importer in “New” Brave does not display Brave (Old) as an option to import from (which it should).

:point_up: Does the above seem correct?

1. I just checked and I have the 0.56.12 version installed
  2. Yes
  3. Not sure if it’s fully uninstalled, as I was able to access the old Brave by clicking an executable found in my files
  4. Yes. I made a backup just in case it gets deleted
  5. Exactly. I only have the option to import an HTML file. But I tried changing the file extension and my bookmarks were not there

@kdnr2374,
Thanks for the additional info. A couple things:
Definitely upgrade to the newest release of Brave. If it doesn’t automatically update, open the menu and select About Brave. This should initiate the update process.

A couple more things to try here to get your bookmarks back (again, they’re definitely still there). Try the following:

1. Find and launch the old (Muon) version of Brave. If you’re having trouble locating it, the executable should be located (assuming you haven’t moved it) in ~Downloads/usr/bin
  2. Now, check again to see if your bookmarks are there. I know you’d mentioned trying this before and not seeing them but humor me on this.

If you DO see your bookmarks in the old Brave (yay!), do the following:

1. Open the main menu
  2. Select Bookmarks --> Export Bookmarks
  3. Choose a destination easy to find and save your bookmarks there as an HTML file (this should be done by default unless you change the file type manually).
  4. Close Brave Muon and open Brave Core (new version, hopefully your updated v0.58.21 version)
  5. Navigate to Settings --> Bookmarks --> Import Bookmarks and Settings...
  6. Select Bookmarks HTML File and choose the newly exported HTML file from Muon.

If you DO NOT see your bookmarks in the Muon (Old) Brave, let me know, and also let me know if - when you first installed Brave (Old/Muon) - did you install through the terminal or via snap? I have at least one more idea/suggestion if the above doesn’t work.

Again, I appreciate your patience and willingness to correspond and work through the issue with me. Always nice to see someone else willing to put in a little work :slight_smile:

Okay so I tried to update but it didn’t do anything. If it’s necessary to have the latest version I was thinking of reinstalling everything but I’m not sure if that’s gonna make it harder for me to get my bookmarks.

Yeah, I tried again and no, they weren’t there. One thing worth mentioning, I used the search feature on my files and there were a bunch of brave executables, I couldn’t open the majority of them, even while using Nautilus. The few that worked opened the old version of Brave. I’m quite a beginner so I’m not sure if this may be the reason my bookmarks don’t appear. I couldn’t open any of the executables found in the location you mentioned.

I don’t remember exactly but I’m pretty sure I installed it via Ubuntu Software. That or via the terminal, but I’m leaning more towards the former.

1 Like