Squirrel.exe in Brave's installation folder on the C drive

Hello,

I have recently installed The Brave browser to check how good it is and it has its PROs and CONs like everything else but one issue is bothering me, every time the browser has an update and i run it something called squirrel.exe is installed in the very directory as the brave browser on the C drive and when i delete the squirrel.exe it does not return unless there is a browser update. Can any of you enlighten me as to if this happened to any of you?..what is squirrel.exe?..how safe is squirrel.exe?..and do you know that it is linked to your Browser?

I apologize for not having any screen shots of it as i deleted it without taking any. Any insight would be grateful and would help me in deciding if to keep this browser or not.

Kindest Regards.

Hi @Brimmy,

I can say “it’s safe” and used for manage both installation and updating, AFAIK. But let me cc @kamil or @LaurenWags for proper answer about squirrel.exe. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the response, I am waiting on whom you CCed for their response.

I’m not very familiar with Windows @Brimmy - going to have to defer to @kamil on this one :slight_smile:

Lauren

Thanks for the reply @LaurenWags i will wait on the Windows Guru to help me:sunglasses:!

So brave had an update yesterday, or that is when i used the browser and saw the update, version 0.20.30 and this squirrel.exe had reinstalled. I deleted it again and this time i took some screenshots but as i am a new user i can only post one image, it is below to further help you guys assess this.

Hi @Brimmy,

I can assure you that Squirrel.exe is safe. It’s used to manage both installations and updates on Windows. Here’s a quick snippet from the brave/Squirrel.Windows GitHub Repo:

Squirrel is both a set of tools and a library, to completely manage both installation and updating your Desktop Windows application, written in either C# or any other language (i.e., Squirrel can manage native C++ applications).

Squirrel uses NuGet packages to create installation and update packages, which means that you probably already know most of what you need to create an installer.

Okay, tanks for the help and explanation.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.