Sometimes brave fails to block adverts on Youtube

Description of the issue:
At times, YouTube adverts come in. I often listen to songs one after another, and at times, there are adverts playing in between songs. Not sure, never happened earlier.

Exact URL of the website in question:

Screenshot of the ad as it appears in Brave
Did the issue present with default Shields settings? (yes/no)

Does the site function as expected when Shields are turned off?

Is there a specific Shields configuration that causes the site to break? If so, tell us that configuration. (yes/no):

Does the site work as expected when using Chrome?

Brave version (check About Brave):
1.24.85 Chromium: 90.0.4430.212 (Official Build) (64-bit)

brave is aware of this… :+1:

I was testing some youtube playback (via a Indian VPN, ~4mins) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAPS8Vc9-xw

Didn’t see any pre-rolls, from clicking on any videos or letting the video playthrough to the next.

What is the best way to replicate it? @pinaxx

Also tested caching (using back/forwards) in Brave Beta build, near clean profile.

Testing some test filters in brave://adblock , if anyone wants to test out.

youtube.com,youtube-nocookie.com##+js(json-prune, *.playerResponse.adPlacements)
youtube.com,youtube-nocookie.com##+js(json-prune, *.playerResponse.playerAds)
  • Open/install a clean Brave Beta Profile
  • Add the filters into brave://adblock
  • Login to youtube.com

Then test :slight_smile: Let me know how it goes

Tbh, I don’t think this issue is reproducible always, occasionally a series of ads slip in. I found a way to prevent them by turning off shields and turning them on again. Looks like the folks at YouTube is deliberately messing around with adblockers. I’ve noticed the same when using other adblocker extensions as well - on other browsers like Firefox. :slight_smile:

Cheers!

I’ve landed a test youtube filters into Fanboy Annoyance (via brave://adblock).For testing against youtube, use this list and let me know…

Thanks!

I also noticed just in the last week that ads were coming in.
I switched my shield from standard to aggressive.
That seem to have worked, but I don’t know if that is the solution as I don’t know what problems will this cause.

@NotThatSmart,
It’s not likely to cause any issues for Youtube – some sites will not like it when using Aggressive but it depends on the site. I myself have Aggressive in Shields settings for Youtube and haven’t had any issues so far.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.