Description of the issue:
A few websites show huge monospaced fonts instead of the actual ones, which make some websites unusable.
This mostly happens on visiting “new” pages which have no local cache yet.
I always delete my browser data (incl. cache) automatically when closing the browser, so the issue keeps re-occurring.
How can this issue be reproduced?
Just open one of these website.
If it does not show the monospaced font, try to
Refresh with “Shift + F5” to also clear cache. This ALWAYS triggers the problem for me on the affected pages.
Sometimes after a few normal “F5” Reloads, the page is displayed as normal.
Showing the font as it should.
Problem also occurred in older versions.
Windows 11 Pro 22H2
Problem also occurred in older versions of Windows 11.
I am not entirely sure, if the problem existed in Windows 10.
What I’ve tried:
Using private mode
Disabling all Plugins
Disabling Brave shield
Disabling Hardware Acceleration
Disabling “Do not Track” Request
Using another profile
Disabling almost every brave privacy feature there is
Currently only happens on my windows PC
I have been encountering this issue already for at least a year, mostly I switch to another browser (Firefox) and it seems fine there or just spam reload the page with “F5”
This issue has actually been reported before
Description of the issue:
Some websites fonts are missing so it shows a weird font instead like the screenshot :
Steps to Reproduce (add as many as necessary): 1. 2. 3.
Just enter the website
Actual Result (gifs and screenshots are welcome!):
Reproduces how often:
Operating System and Brave Version(See the About Brave page in the main menu):
Version 1.35.103 Chromium: 98.0.4758.102 (Official Build) (64-bit)
Thanks for reaching out.
I’ve asked some team members to see if they can reproduce the issue — I cannot do so on my end using macOS and Windows OS.
In the meantime, can you try downloading and installing the Brave Beta build and seeing if you get the same behavior when visiting the site? Note that installing Beta will not overwrite any existing data — it will install as a separate browser and you’re welcome to uninstall it whenever you’d like after testing.
Thanks very much for your response.
I have some news regarding this issue. After downloading some other chromium-based browsers to test this I can say that this does not only affect the brave browser.
Other browsers affected
Google Chrome Canary
Edge (the “new” Chromium-based Version)
So this is not brave specific.
This thread here can be closed.
Here is the issue I have opened on the chromium side.
Unfortunately I cannot edit it anymore, so dont wonder why it looks like this
for brave forums
I see — classic upstream issue. Thank you for updating us!