Social media blocking bug?

Lately, I have noticed that social media plug-ins (Facebook comments is one of them) have started to become blocked even though the social media settings are allowing them. To fix it, I have to bring up the social media settings, disable the setting, re-enable it again and finally reload the page. It’s almost as if the stored settings are out of sync with the initial blocker settings until you change them.

1 Like

@jek6094,
Thank you for bringing this to our attention – however, would you mind filling out the requisite information template so that we have all the data we need surrounding the issue up front?

1 Like

Ah, of course, sorry… :blush:

Description of the issue:
The social media blocking seems out of sync with the saved settings.

Steps to Reproduce (add as many as necessary):

• Make sure the “Allow Facebook logins and embedded posts” is enabled.
  • Quit and Restart Brave and go to a site that is known to have embedded Facebook Comments.
  • Verify that the embedded comments do not show up.
  • Open settings and go to Social media blocking
  • Disable “Allow Facebook logins and embedded posts” and re-enable it again.
  • Close the settings tab.
  • Reload the page and verify that the embedded comments are now visible.

Expected Result:
The comments should have been displayed at the first page visit.

Reproduces how often:
Always

Brave Version(See the About Brave page in the main menu):
Version 0.67.87 Chromium: 75.0.3770.100 (Official Build) dev (64-bit)

Additional information:
Windows 7 Pro, 64-bit.

1 Like

I wonder if this is related to how the HubSpot Social Media chrome extension doesn’t work? I was coming here to report it, but I’ve got a feeling this could be related. It’s an extension that let’s you add web articles to your queue easily. All the social platforms have something similar. But it is totally blocked unless I take down the Brave shields on a site first, then the extension works.

@jek6094,
I think I may be a bit confused about your steps:

:point_up: So in this scenario, you’re saying that you would have already had FB logins/embeds set to Blocked already. If so, then this bit

Doesn’t make sense. Can you clarify – am I misreading something?

The idea is to go to a site that has embedded Facebook comments, but prove they aren’t displayed even though the blocker settings allow them to be showed. (There’s just a white or gray empty space where the comments are supposed to be displayed) Toggling the blocker setting off and then on again coupled with a page reload makes them visible.

However, one of the last few updates to Brave Dev seem to have fixed the issue, so it’s not an issue anymore. At least not for me. :slight_smile:

1 Like

@jek6094,
That’s great news! I’d like to keep this issue open though and keep an eye on it in case it decides regress. Really appreciate your help with this.

1 Like