Slow launch when no instances of Brave are running

Description of the issue:
Every time I start up Brave when there are not instances of Brave active it takes about ~25 seconds to launch. When there is already an instance running Brave is running smoothly (new tabs etc.), it only happens on startup.

**Steps to Reproduce (add as many as necessary):

1. Close every instance of Brave (or reboot the System)
  2. Launch Brave

Actual Result (gifs and screenshots are welcome!):
The app is launched after 26 seconds.

Expected result:
Launch the app within a few seconds.

Reproduces how often:
Every time there is no instance of Brave running and I am starting up Brave.

Operating System and Brave Version(See the About Brave page in the main menu):
Host: HP Pavilion Power Laptop 15-cb0xx
Kernel: 5.0.0-27-generic
DE: KDE
WM: KWin
CPU: Intel i7-7700HQ (8) @ 3.800GHz
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Mobile

Additional Information:
I tried disabling Hardware Acceleration to see if it makes a difference, but it doesn’t. I installed Brave Release Channel and Beta Channel (https://brave-browser.readthedocs.io/en/latest/installing-brave.html#linux), but there is no difference. Other browsers (e.g. Firefox and Google Chrome launch instantly)

Logs when starting from Terminal with command "brave-browser"
(brave-browser:6367): Gtk-WARNING **: 17:24:57.343: Theme parsing error: gtk.css:68:35: The style property GtkButton:child-displacement-x is deprecated and shouldn’t be used anymore. It will be removed in a future version

(brave-browser:6367): Gtk-WARNING **: 17:24:57.343: Theme parsing error: gtk.css:69:35: The style property GtkButton:child-displacement-y is deprecated and shouldn’t be used anymore. It will be removed in a future version

(brave-browser:6367): Gtk-WARNING **: 17:24:57.343: Theme parsing error: gtk.css:73:46: The style property GtkScrolledWindow:scrollbars-within-bevel is deprecated and shouldn’t be used anymore. It will be removed in a future version

[6367:6423:0916/172522.435824:ERROR:object_proxy.cc(619)] Failed to call method: org.freedesktop.Notifications.GetCapabilities: object_path= /org/freedesktop/Notifications: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.
[6367:6384:0916/172522.511791:ERROR:rewards_service_impl.cc(194)] Failed to read file: /home/baronbas/.config/BraveSoftware/Brave-Browser/Default/ledger_state
[6458:6458:0916/172522.526265:ERROR:ledger_impl.cc(392)] Failed to initialize wallet

@BaronBas,
Thanks for reaching out.
Have you tried clearing your cache/site data since this started?

It is a fresh installation, but nevertheless I tried and it didn’t make a difference.

1 Like

@BaronBas,
Thanks for letting me know – going to dig into this further. I’ve reached out to some team members for additional input as well.

Update*: I noticed that Brave v0.68.138 was released a few hours ago, so I installed the new version and this seems to have fixed the issue, the browser launches instantly again. My guess is that it had something to do with the version of chromium.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.