Slow Internet Speeds compared to Safari - Fiber Gig Internet

Description of the issue: Significantly slower speeds, almost half as slow (compared to Safari browser) on speed test websites. I will attach speed screenshots using speedtest.net. It’s mainly the Download that’s slower. It seems like it gets throttled, for whatever reason.

**Steps to Reproduce (add as many as necessary): ** Self explanatory, I think. I tried both with shields on and shields off.

Actual Result (gifs and screenshots are welcome!): Shields On (automatic server)

Shields Off (automatic server)

Shields on (picked an arbitrary server but ensured the same)

Expected result: Speed tests should be consisted with Safari (I would think). Computer is connected via Ethernet cable.

Reproduces how often: Almost 100% consistently reproduced.

Operating System and Brave Version(See the About Brave page in the main menu): OS: macOS Catalina 10.15.5 - Brave 1.9.80

Anybody have any ideas on this?

@hpradogu,
What are the differences in the browsers with respect to extensions installed and browsing data stored? I would run the same test with a fresh profile (Menu --> Create new profile) and see if you get the same results.

Hi Mattches,

Thanks for the reply!

Safari has almost no extensions (minus 1Password).

Brave has a few extensions, but I tried it with all extensions disabled as well; same results.

I also just tried it with the “New Profile” and it’s giving me similar results. Safari has faster download speeds compared to Brave.

Thanks!

1 Like

@hpradogu,
Thank you for testing and confirming for me. I’ve reached out to a couple of our devs for more info on what may be causing this.

Appreciate your patience.

Hi Mattches,

Great, thank you! I look forward to your guys’ response!

Thanks!

@hpradogu,
Can you try the following:

1. Run the test again on speedtest.net, but try using a different server than the one you default to (use the Change server link).
  2. Try using a Single connection test and record the results.

my internet speed is good with brave try to test with ethernet connection if u connected with wifi device previously…

@Mattches,
I did one of these tests by selecting a server (versus the default one).

I will try using a Single connection test and report back.

@raviteja33,
This is all hardwired/ethernet. I’m getting decent speeds, but I’m running on 1Gbps internet getting 1/3rd of what I should be.

1 Like

Hi Mattches,

The single connection yielded slightly different results (I apologize as I forgot to screenshot it): but, the speeds were both slower, but closer to each other than they previously were.

@Mattches, any new tests or update on this?

Sorry for bugging.

Thanks!
Hector

I’ve done a few (around 10 speed tests) in both Brave and Chrome, via an ethernet cable.

I’m on Gigabit fibre, and each speedtest run I did, it reported different results (even straight after). Brave was no slower/or quicker than Chrome.

I’ve worked at an ISP, and speedtest results vary a lot. (+/- 80Mb in my case). Its used as a guideline, rather than a definitive line speed.

1 Like

@fanboynz, See, the problem with me is, brave is slower than safari for the speed test.

I understand that it is used as a guideline, but, when the tests are almost 50% of a difference in speed, that’s a big issue; at least I think it is, LOL.

Same for me here! Just upgraded my ISP to 200mb, and was wondering why Brave appeared slow @100Mb, but Safari appears to take the full speed of 200mb… so my ISP is fine, Brave appears to be the issue.

Yeah, exactly the same issue with me. Not sure why it’s got such drastic slower speeds as compared to Safari.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.