Slow Internet Speeds compared to Safari - Fiber Gig Internet

Description of the issue: Significantly slower speeds, almost half as slow (compared to Safari browser) on speed test websites. I will attach speed screenshots using speedtest.net. It’s mainly the Download that’s slower. It seems like it gets throttled, for whatever reason.

**Steps to Reproduce (add as many as necessary): ** Self explanatory, I think. I tried both with shields on and shields off.

Actual Result (gifs and screenshots are welcome!): Shields On (automatic server)

Shields Off (automatic server)

Shields on (picked an arbitrary server but ensured the same)

Expected result: Speed tests should be consisted with Safari (I would think). Computer is connected via Ethernet cable.

Reproduces how often: Almost 100% consistently reproduced.

Operating System and Brave Version(See the About Brave page in the main menu): OS: macOS Catalina 10.15.5 - Brave 1.9.80

Anybody have any ideas on this?

@hpradogu,
What are the differences in the browsers with respect to extensions installed and browsing data stored? I would run the same test with a fresh profile (Menu --> Create new profile) and see if you get the same results.

Hi Mattches,

Thanks for the reply!

Safari has almost no extensions (minus 1Password).

Brave has a few extensions, but I tried it with all extensions disabled as well; same results.

I also just tried it with the “New Profile” and it’s giving me similar results. Safari has faster download speeds compared to Brave.

Thanks!

1 Like

@hpradogu,
Thank you for testing and confirming for me. I’ve reached out to a couple of our devs for more info on what may be causing this.

Appreciate your patience.

Hi Mattches,

Great, thank you! I look forward to your guys’ response!

Thanks!

@hpradogu,
Can you try the following:

1. Run the test again on speedtest.net, but try using a different server than the one you default to (use the Change server link).
  2. Try using a Single connection test and record the results.

my internet speed is good with brave try to test with ethernet connection if u connected with wifi device previously…

@Mattches,
I did one of these tests by selecting a server (versus the default one).

I will try using a Single connection test and report back.

@raviteja33,
This is all hardwired/ethernet. I’m getting decent speeds, but I’m running on 1Gbps internet getting 1/3rd of what I should be.

1 Like

Hi Mattches,

The single connection yielded slightly different results (I apologize as I forgot to screenshot it): but, the speeds were both slower, but closer to each other than they previously were.

@Mattches, any new tests or update on this?

Sorry for bugging.

Thanks!
Hector

I’ve done a few (around 10 speed tests) in both Brave and Chrome, via an ethernet cable.

I’m on Gigabit fibre, and each speedtest run I did, it reported different results (even straight after). Brave was no slower/or quicker than Chrome.

I’ve worked at an ISP, and speedtest results vary a lot. (+/- 80Mb in my case). Its used as a guideline, rather than a definitive line speed.

1 Like

@fanboynz, See, the problem with me is, brave is slower than safari for the speed test.

I understand that it is used as a guideline, but, when the tests are almost 50% of a difference in speed, that’s a big issue; at least I think it is, LOL.

Same for me here! Just upgraded my ISP to 200mb, and was wondering why Brave appeared slow @100Mb, but Safari appears to take the full speed of 200mb… so my ISP is fine, Brave appears to be the issue.