Shields down by default even though set to be up

I just restarted Brave browser within the last 24 hours to complete the update to: Version 1.41.100 Chromium: 103.0.5060.134 (Official Build) (64-bit).
Since then, even though all settings are set properly to have shields up by default, any time I open a new window/tab, shields are down by default. I have to turn on shields every time I open a tab.
I am quite sure that before I restarted Brave to complete the update, shields were up by default for every new tab.

UPDATE: I have noticed that if I open a new tab and run a Brave search, the search results show up on a “shields up” page. However, as soon as I click on a result to move away from the results page, shields go down.

UPDATE 2: I just ran updates on my system so am now running Version 1.42.88 Chromium: 104.0.5112.81 (Official Build). No change from above.

Hi and a belated welcome to the community. :slightly_smiling_face: Are you still experiencing this issue? Please post an update.

If you are still experiencing this issue, try this:
Workaround: Settings --> History —> Clear browsing data --> Advanced , selecting Site and Shields settings (for all time) and relaunch the browser

This was a previous known issue that was fixed in version 1.41.96 so, it is strange that you are having this issue now. Information below copied from User Solutions: Brave Release 1.42.x - #2 by Chocoholic

Selected Brave GitHub Issue Reports Fixed/Implemented
from User Solutions: Brave Release 1.41.x

ISSUE: Shields Disabled by Default
Fixed: Brave version 1.41.96

• Fixed Brave Shields being disabled by default in certain cases. (#23214 )

Brave GitHub Issue Report:
default shield-on option lost since a recent update #23214

Take care. :slightly_smiling_face:

Thank you, that worked. It seems weird that a previously fixed issue would show up again, but at least it was the same fix. Seems to me I should’ve found that previous fix with a bit more of a search, so thank you for taking the time to reply!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.