Settings does not work for more than 1 "Setting" change (autoplay, bookmarks)

Description of the issue:

Just downloaded the new Brave today. Went into settings to try to do the following:

-disable Bookmarks visibility (i.e., hide horizontal bar with all bookmarks)
-turn off autoplay (i.e. I do not want youtube videos to play automatically)

What happened was that the bookmarks bar vanished only in the Settings tab itself, but continues to be visible in BLANK “new tab”.

And autoplay continues to function. I went to youtube and the videos keep playing as soon as I open the tab, exactly what I did not want to happen.

Steps to Reproduce (add as many as necessary): 1. 2. 3.

1. Go into settings.
  2. Turn off bookmarks / turn off autoplay under “advanced” —> “content”

Actual Result (gifs and screenshots are welcome!):

Expected result:

-Autoplay off on youtube (it’s not)
-bookmarks horizontal tab no visible on new tab (it is)

Reproduces how often:

Always

Brave Version(about:brave):

Version 0.58.16 Chromium: 71.0.3578.98 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Reproducible on current live release (yes/no):

not sure what this means

Additional Information:

Please fix, it’s annoying that settings doesnt actually work, especially for autoplay.

Hi @encee,
Thanks for reaching out.

Yes, currently Brave not hiding bookmarks bar on new tab page. We’ve an issue logged for this here https://github.com/brave/brave-browser/issues/1306

It’s expected behavior since YouTube is whitelisted from autoplay setting. You need to:

1. Visit https://youtube.com
  2. Click on site settings (URL bar padlock icon)
  3. Click Site Settings
  4. Change Autoplay from Block (Default) to Block
  5. Go back to YouTube and click any video, doesn’t autoplay

Hope that can help.
Thanks
:slightly_smiling_face:

So, in order to disable auto-play on Youtube, I must save cookies from Youtube (aka, Google), and let them track all my web browsing? Because if I delete cookies on exit, then youtube will still be on auto-play.

The main reason I chose the previous version of Brave was privacy / tracking issues. I do not want Google and Youtube tracking everything I do on the internet. I realize it’s hard to get out from under their data tracking thumb, but tracking cookies makes it easy for them.

Whoever made these decisions at Brave to force auto-play on users, make it harder to delete cookies on exit, etc. — Do you realize you are taking away the MAIN REASON users like me chose Brave? It’s bait-and-switch. Was Brave bought by Google or something? I will not use the new Brave and will begin looking for a privacy-oriented browser if this bait-and-switch continues.

:point_up: Yes, the classic “Spend-a-ton-of-time,-money-and-energy-building-a-browser-from-the-ground-up-based-on-old-technology-and-realizing-that-the-scalability-of-your-current-engine-is-coming-to-and-end-and-electing-to-rewrite-a-gigantic-body-of-code-around-a-new-framework-so-users-can-have-access-to-features-they-never-had-before-and-the-team-can-implement-features-that-weren’t-possible-before-the-rewrite-but-then-secretly-we’re-actually-stealing-everyone’s-YouTube-cookies”.

You know, that old chestnut.

You already posted about this once.

Also, Autoplay works just fine, you need to input it in the correct format - something else we’re working on:

When input correctly, blocking autoplay on YT works just fine:

Oh, bookmarks bar disappears as intended as well:

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.