Setting to clear browsing data "on exit" should give an option to not startup with "continue where you left off"

NOTE: Any “one-liner” or topics requesting support or reporting bugs that do not make an effort to include as much of this information as possible will not be responded to. Repeatedly posting as such is grounds for banning._
Please try to adhere to this template when reporting bugs. If you think you don’t need to fill out every section in the template fill out as much of it as you can and please be as descriptive as possible when posting.
<---------Delete this line and everything above before posting---------->

Description of the issue:
I started using the browser and set it to clear browsing history on exit. Then I closed the browser and when I re-opened it, it opened the same page I had been on. So it appears that clear history ‘on exit’ is not working.
I came to file a bug or find a fix, and learned that there is a separate option “on startup: continue where I left off” that defaulted to on. I went and changed that and now it appears to be cleared data as I originally intended. The fact this was not intuitive means there room to improve the user experience.

I want to request that when you set Brave to clear data on exit, if “continue where I left off” is on, there should be some notification and confirmation to leave it on or change it.
Currently it just seems like clearing data doesn’t work because of this other option that the user may not be aware exists. Changing it without telling them could be problematic in other ways. By somehow alerting the user that this option might interfere with their apparent intent, it provides a way to fix this issue without diminishing their control of the experience or requiring them to lookup why they have unexpected browser behavior.

Steps to Reproduce (add as many as necessary): 1. 2. 3.

1. set to clear browsing data on exit
  2. make sure “on startup” is stills et to ‘continue where i left off’
  3. open a web page
  4. close browser
  5. reopen browser and observe the same web page

Actual Result (gifs and screenshots are welcome!):
It reopens with the webpage that was open when you left, obviously not clearing browsing data

Expected result:
it does not have history, including remembering the page you left, when you reopen the browser

Reproduces how often:
every time, until changed the starup option

Operating System and Brave Version(See the About Brave page in the main menu):
Brave v 1.45.113
Windows 10 pro, OC build 19044.2130

Additional Information:
I have fixed my issue, but hope this helps the browser be a better experience for others in the future.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.