"Senseless" questions

Some questions came to my mind when started to use Brave…

1. Why when I download extensions in Brave, I can see Opera icon/logo on popup window…?

screenshot

1. What is the sense to change for Brave browser, if I need to use Google Web Store, when I want to download any extension?

2. Why cleaning the History page looks like a clone of the Chrome one? Even the clean icon is the same…

1. Why the idea of Bookmarks is identical like in Chrome? With identical folders structure: Bookmarks / Other bookmarks / Mobile bookmarks (on mobiles)?

widze ze chyba jestes polak

Owszem, jestem Polak :wink:

1 Like

a i tak rozumiem to co napisales bo to po angielsku ( przynajmniej u mnie tak jest ) pewnie po to zeby wiecej osob to zrozumialo…

@krzysztofskul,
Thanks for reaching out to us. Lets take these one at a time:

1. Why when I download extensions in Brave, I can see Opera icon/logo on popup window…?
    That is a good question. It looks like you’re running a pretty old version of Windows – can you tell me what Windows OS it is, btw? – which is fairly outdated at this point, which may be part of it. However, it seems like perhaps your default app for opening extensions is currently set to Opera. Changing Brave to your default browser should resolve this or, alternatively, you can search for (in your Windows search) “default programs” or “default applications” (depends on the version of Windows you’re using), find the .crx extension and set the default program for them to be Brave.

2. What is the sense to change for Brave browser, if I need to use Google Web Store, when I want to download any extension?
    Downloads from the play store are proxied in Brave.

3. Why cleaning the History page looks like a clone of the Chrome one? Even the clean icon is the same…/ 4. Why the idea of Bookmarks is identical like in Chrome? With identical folders structure: Bookmarks / Other bookmarks / Mobile bookmarks (on mobiles)?
    Brave is built on the Chromium engine, which is the same engine most other popular web browsers use (Opera, Vivaldi, MS Edge). While we leverage the Chromium engine, we also strip out any/all code that would connect to or otherwise send your private data to Google. For more information on this, please see the following post:
    https://community.brave.com/t/brave-chromium-google-and-your-data/34395

Does this answer your questions?

Thank you @Mattches !

Yes, your answers are very explanatory : ) But I will also respond with some words:

1. I use Win 7 on private laptop, but on the business one I have Win 10 and actually, there is no a bug with Opera icon.

2. Sorry, but I don’t understand what does exactly means, that downloads are “proxied” in Brave…

3. That’s good. So I hope that Brave will be growing up and will not be too much similiar to Chrome… like Opera had become many years ago : (

Best regards,
Krzysztof

@krzysztofskul,

1. My response to this is still the same – did you try what I suggested you try on the affected laptop?
  2. A “proxy” is basically a barrier/gateway, generally a server, between your connection and the sites you browse. Proxies are used for several purposes but in this context, we’re simply proxying the connection between your device and the Google web store to protect any of your data from being tracked while on the site.

@Mattches,

Yes, I changed Opera to Brave as a default program for .crx files and this repaired the problem : )

2 Likes

@krzysztofskul,
Excellent – glad to hear it :slight_smile: