Select what to do with download files

Description of the issue:
I’d like to select what to do with download files. In Firefox, I could select how to open a .svg file. I could save it to disk or open it with Affinity Designer which was very convenient when I want to use it there anyway. Brave just saves the file which permanently puts it into my Downloads folder. And when I click on it, it’s opened in a new tab. I have to leave Brave to continue using this file. And then I have to delete it manually because it’s not a temporary file.

How can this issue be reproduced?

1. Download any file that might be opened in an external application

Expected result:
A dialog to select the desired action (save or open in other app)

Brave Version( check About Brave):

Brave 1.29.79 Chromium: 93.0.4577.63 (Offizieller Build) (64-Bit)
Überarbeitung ff5c0da2ec0adeaed5550e6c7e98417dac77d98a-refs/branch-heads/4577@{#1135}
Betriebssystem Windows 10 OS Version 2009 (Build 19042.1052)

Additional Information:
I’m sure this is just a setting somewhere but I couldn’t find it.

There isn’t such a dialog in Brave, but what you can do is configure Brave to automatically open certain files after download, I think that is close to what you’re asking for.

Here is how to do it, just replace the .torrent file with the desired file.

Yes, that’s helpful. I can open a file in an external app once or probably always with each available option.

Where could I undo that setting? It’s always easy to lock and hide one path forever but what if I want to reopen it later after it’s gone with those options?

The feature opens files automatically after download, so you could open the files manually at later point.

brave://settings/downloadsOpen certain file types automatically after downloadingClear.

I’ve tried it but it didn’t work as described. When I select the “always open this file type” option, it always and immediately opens these files in the browser and not in the external application. After enabling this option, that Clear button became available in the settings. This would also mean that I could only reset all these preferences at once, not one of them individually. But I’m not going to use it anyway because it’s not useful for me.

So I’ll stay with manually opening each downloaded file either through the file manager or the download bar menu in Brave, and later deleting it also manually. That is a viable option, I’m not doing that too often, I just used to have a little more comfort here.

This adds to a growing list of little annoyances that I have with Brave. Firefox’ new tab bar design finally gave me the push to try something new. And I found that Brave could do almost all I need. I’m already using it on Android as the only reasonable browser that exists (Firefox has too many bugs there and Chrome has absolutely no ad/tracking blocker whatsoever which is a necessity in today’s web like an antivirus software used to be on PCs). But since I’m using it primarily every day, I get to know what doesn’t work. Maybe I’ll spend some more time in fixing that stpuid Firefox tab bar and migrate back.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.