Security Issue : Brave starts to download in background while "Save As" dialog is still open and Save not clicked yet

I have been noticing this weird issue (on both Brave Beta and Brave) for sometime where the downloading of any file starts in background while I still have the “Save As” dialog open and the Save button is not clicked yet…

Also, Windows Brave taskbar icon shows the download progress to confirm this.

If you are downloading a large file and keep the “Save As” dialog open for long enough without clicking Save button, the downloading in background would have downloaded most of file content and now if you attempt to click Save and save it somewhere… you can notice that a large file is saved immediately as file is already downloaded in background.

Won’t this raise a Security concern if some shady site attempts to auto download some file? As in this case, any file is downloaded in background without even user’s confirmation by clicking Save!!.

Description of the issue:
How can this issue be reproduced?

1. Download any large file like Eclipse IDE software ~300MB.
  2. Keep the “Save As” dialog open and do not click Save button.
  3. Notice the download happens in background without clicking Save and Windows taskbar icon also shows progress which confirms this.

Expected result:
Download should not being before clicking Save button.

Brave Version( check About Brave):
Version 1.42.78 Chromium: 103.0.5060.134 (Official Build) beta (64-bit)

Additional Information:

No, I just think that’s how Chromium-based – and I believe also Firefox – browsers work. I assume it’s to save time if, for example, you walk away before hitting ‘Save.’

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.