Searching a site for German umlauts is faulty

Hi there, when I try to search a site via CTRL+F and enter a German umlaut (ä, ö, ü), then the search also matches a, o, u. So it’s basically the same as just searching for a, o, u, which is really frustrating, since you can’t search for umlauts specifically that way.
On Chrome this works as expected.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Open a page with text containing vowels (a, o, u) and German umlauts (ä, ö, ü).
  2. Use CTRL+F to open the search
  3. Type any German umlaut

Expected behaviour:
The search only returns results for the umlaut you searched for

Actual behaviour:
The search matches both the umlaut and the corresponding vowel (-> a & ä, o & ö, u & ü)

Thanks for looking into this

@rickyy,
Thanks for reaching out to us. So I do see this behavior in Brave, but I also see this in Chrome as well?
Chrome:

Am I understanding you correctly that Chrome (for you) is only showing characters with the German umlaut when searched?

Hi there, ohhhhhh I just noticed a major difference between my chrome and brave installation: Chrome is configured in German and Brave in English.
After configuring Chrome in English as well I notice that it works the same as in Brave :sweat_smile:.
Do you know if that’s intended behavior in Chrome? If not, I’m going to ask them :slight_smile:

Thanks for your quick response and for pointing me to verify my chrome installation.
Cheers

1 Like

No problem. Can you confirm for me that changing the language setting in Brave works as intended?

Setting the UI language to German makes the search work as expected. I am going to search for the issue in Chrome and ask the devs if it’s intended behavior. Thanks again :slight_smile:

1 Like