Search bar, additional to the URL bar, like classic firefox

One thing that is incredibly infuriating about Chrome and Brave.
No search bar.

• But you don’t need it, just type in the address bar.

But what if it something that you need to search for, letter for letter that you see on a webpage?

• Oh but you just select the text and right click search xxxx for “yyyyyy”

You can’t do that with text embedded within a video or an image! Which in my field is 90% of the time!

With firefox should I see a term, phrase or partnumber I wished to search that was embedded within an image or video I could type it letter for letter into the search bar whilst looking at the said video or image and then click new tab and perform the search.

With the omnibar I have to type it into there, then select all, copy, new tab, paste and go.

As a result, despite being the fastest browser brave on whole it costs me more time than it saves because of this.

2 Likes

Try it yourself, start a search for the partnumber in pic attached quickly and easily opening it in a new tab without interfering with this one.
It’s very easy to do with a separate search bar.
partnumber

2 Likes

I would like to see this feature added also. I tend to use the search bar as a holding place for searches. I can copy text on a page, paste it in to the search bar, open a new tab and the search bar contents are still there. then click search without loosing the page in the other tab.
I can go to multiple pages while retaining the contents of the search bar and make slight adjustments to my search text.
Someone said , in another thread that no Chrome based browsers have a search bar, but Vivaldi does.

2 Likes

I’d like this feature added as well. I use it for managing my default search engine and searching a part of an address that’s in the address bar. Having a single bar that “does everything” is messier and more work on my part.

3 Likes

Yes - I need to search among tabs as well. Would propose to use floating bar tab search like in Vivaldi - https://vivaldi.com/blog/quick-commands-guide/ - much more comfortable and faster approach.

Just searched the community to see if there was this feature hidden away in settings that I missed and came across a few posts asking for this feature.
It would be so handy to have a search bar. I often have to type text from a picture to search on, and the search bar is just perfect to achieve this easily.

2 Likes

Just created an account to ask for this feature.
I still use FireFox solely for the search bar so I can search for things on amazon quickly or other odd locations.

1 Like

same

An absolutely essential feature for any kind of research.

For those who don’t understand why mixing two different use cases (searching and current/go-to URL) is problematic, here are two reasons:

Bad UX

1. Input search terms
  2. View SERP page
  3. Figure that the keywords searched weren’t a good choice
  4. Click the search/URL combo input to modify the keywords

BOOM! You can’t do that because when you go back to the (then) search box it is now actually an URL field with the SE URL in it, so you need to type the keywords again.

Privacy

1. Input search terms
  2. View SERP page
  3. Figure out that the keywords searched aren’t bringing good results
  4. Click the search engine input to edit the keywords

BOOM! This defeats the purpose of the “Improve search suggestions” option in Brave, in that now the search engine is processing your input, not Brave. Notice that this is the case even in Private mode, despite the option being always OFF in that mode, as explained in the setting description. The only workaround to this is to retype the keywords in the search/URL bar (and suffer from the Bad UX above). I bet that most privacy-conscious people don’t realize the implications of not retyping the keywords in the URL bar.

Solutions

The most obvious solution to this would be to have a separate input box just for search, like Firefox and other browsers do. Even though the separate search box was removed by Google (which benefits a lot from the change, BTW) a long time ago, the code may still be in the Chromium source repository, so maybe it is not too difficult to implement.

An alternative would be a “search history” button/dropdown/shortcut. This would open a list of previous search terms input in the URL bar, so that one could see previous searches and click on them to avoid retyping.