Scrolling with touchpad on macOS and immediately ctrl+tabbing causes page to Zoom in/out

I’m not sure if this was documented already or not, but I couldn’t find anything similar.

Symptoms:

• Using Brave on macOS and ctrl+tabbing often results in webpages resizing randomly.

Actual Problem/How to Reproduce:

• On macOS, scroll with 2 fingers on the trackpad on a webpage.
  • Before scrolling comes to a stop, ctrl+tab to another tab.
  • The resulting webpage will resize/zoom on its own.
  • What seems to be happening is that Brave is preserving the scroll momentum from the previous tab, so that when ctrl+tabbing to the next one, the act of pressing and holding ctrl plus the preserved scroll momentum causes in an unintended zoom.

This one was a tricky one to discover and reproduce, because often times using Brave I found webpages randomly resizing and I couldn’t explain why. It happened only about 5-10% of the time until I took some effort to find it. This seems to have been prevalent in all versions of Brave I’ve used. Note that I am on v0.19.53 because I downgraded to a more stable version. If anyone can confirm that this bug also exists in the latest macOS version, that’d be great.

Brave 0.19.53
rev e09025b
Muon 4.4.29
libchromiumcontent 61.0.3163.100
V8 6.1.534.41
Node.js 7.9.0
Update Channel Release
OS Platform macOS
OS Release 16.7.0
OS Architecture x64

Thanks, I think Page zooms in when ctrl shift scrolling on MacBook trackpad is a duplicate of your issue.

Thanks. The issue sounds like it might be different though, because they are talking about reverse order: ctrl+tabbing, then scrolling. I’ve commented and linked to this issue on the github in case it may help.

Anyone know if there is an update to this issue? The issue on Github is here https://github.com/brave/browser-laptop/issues/3244, but haven’t seen development on it for a while. This is the last major bug, I’d say, that makes Brave on macOS feel extremely buggy since scroll momentum exists on every macbook. Thanks~

Bump. Any update on this issue? The open github issue seems untouched for a while. This is a very prevalent bug on macOS, happens to me on a daily basis, with window resizing almost every other time I ctrl+tab. It could turn off quite a bit of users as it is one of the last major bugs in the browser that makes Brave feel unpolished. Please consider moving this up on priority…

This is extremely annoying. It used to happen in Chrome as well about two years ago (I guess) and was one of the reasons I switched to Safari.

Anyone on the Brave team out there? This issue is quite painful on macOS on a laptop. Imagine your screen randomly resizing every other minute you’re on the browser. Please consider moving this up in priority, it is an experience-breaking bug!

Here is the github issue: https://github.com/brave/browser-laptop/issues/3244

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.