Scrolling is delayed with dual GPU enabled on notebook

Description of the issue:

Mouse/kbd response is delayed for typically 1-2 seconds if browser is left idling for 15-30 seconds while I’m reading the current paragraph and then scroll down further. Delay applies to both keyboard arrow buttons and mouse. Problem does not occur in other browsers. Disabling any one GPU and running only on single GPU resolves the problem.

Steps to Reproduce (add as many as necessary): 1. Open any page in Brave and scroll down the page with short pauses in between.

Actual Result: scrolling is delayed shortly.

Expected result: immediate response from mouse or keyboard input.

Reproduces how often: always

Brave Version(about:brave): 1.28.105 Chromium: 92.0.4515.131 (Official version) (64 bits)

Reproducible on current live release (yes/no): yes

Additional Information:

I’m using a ASUS N56JR-S4075H notebook with dual GPU, Nvidia GTX760M and Intel 4600. Running Windows 10 (21H1) 19043.1165. Latest drivers for both GPU.

I guess there is some kind of momentary conflict in Brave or Windows about what GPU to engage when scrolling. The scrolling delay is remedied if I disable any one of the GPU:s (in device manager) and run Windows on only the Intel or Nvidia GPU.

However, screen brightness adjustment and suspend is not available when disabling the Intel GPU so that is not an option. Would be nice to be able to use the Nvidia GPU. I can provide more config and diagnostic info if needed. Thanks.

1 Like

Is the issue present when Hardware Acceleration is disabled via brave://settings/system?

Yes, it is. Disabling HW accel. makes no difference.

I’ve noticed this issue for quite some time and I never tried disabling one of the GPUs in my laptop. I’ve just done that to test and it has fixed.

Version 1.29.55 Chromium: 92.0.4515.131 (Official Build) beta (64-bit)

1 Like

Hello @Stacker

in my dual gpu laptop but using amd and intel there app that allow me to config which gpu i use with which app to try to find similar app for your nvidia

and set whatever gpu you like to use with brave

hope that help and have a nice day :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yay, it worked! Great suggestion, thank you! I just found out that the ability to assign a certain GPU to a certain app is actually built into Windows settings nowadays, so it’s a great and easy workaround as you don’t need to hassle with some shady 3rd party software to control your Nvidia GPU.

Just enter Windows settings, choose display, then graphics settings and “graphics performance settings”, click browse and locate brave.exe in “C:\Program Files\BraveSoftware\Brave-Browser\Application”. Then choose the power saving GPU, restart Brave and you’re done. No more delay in scrolling!

This tweak is detailed here: https://www.howtogeek.com/351522/how-to-choose-which-gpu-a-game-uses-on-windows-10/

To my knowledge there is no particular advantage with using a performance GPU for web browsing, as the internal graphics of a reasonably modern i5/i7 CPU is fully able to handle everything on a web page, like videos and such.

Maybe this workaround should be added to the Brave FAQ?

1 Like

Hello @ChuckD
could you check this

and see if it help you also :slight_smile:

glad to know that it worked @Stacker

and thanks for the info it help alot

it been long time since i used windows :slight_smile:

and have a nice day :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks @Stacker and @justsomeone1 setting Brave to use a specific GPU fixed it and I can have both enabled again.

glad to here that and you welcome @ChuckD

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.