Scroll bar won't stop scrolling

hello,
doesn’t happen all the time and might not be Brave issue.
Noticed that recently if click on arrow of scroll bar to scroll down that page will continue scrolling and not stop until I click back on scroll bar.

Brave 0.21.20
V8 6.5.254.36
rev 6b04acd
Muon 4.9.3
OS Release 10.0.16299
Update Channel Release
OS Architecture x64
OS Platform Microsoft Windows
Node.js 7.9.0
Brave Sync v1.4.2
libchromiumcontent 65.0.3325.162

Scrolling doesn't follow mouse if want to select all page content

Same here, it dose not seem to be a problem if you use a mouse with a scroll wheel, but mine is one of those senor type scroll and I don’t use it or like it…thanks. Maybe I need to get an old wheel mouse.

using cheap tesco mouse with scroll wheel.
happens if I click on the little arrow bottom of scroll bar, perhaps I
stop doing that and use scroll wheel.

Hi @zemlik and @Freedom-is-a-right

Could you both please post your Brave and OS versions? Also, are you using a trackpad, mouse with scroll wheel, etc?

Thanks,
Lauren

Same problem. Using windows hp laptop with built in mousepad. Some/most times clicking on down arrow gives normal action, but many times (1 out of 5?) I get runaway scrolling that only stops if I click again. Just started w/in last 5-7 days. Think started after a brave update notification that i complied with by relaunching brave. I’ve been using brave on this laptop for I think a year or so and never had this problem.

I closed brave and started used firefox for a few hours. No similar issue at all w/ firefox - which indicates to me it is a brave-related issue. I just uninstalled/reinstalled brave and immediately got the same problem again - which again leads me to believe it is a brave-related problem.

Brave version:

Brave 0.21.24
V8 6.5.254.36
rev 19c78a1
Muon 4.9.3
OS Release 10.0.16299
Update Channel Release
OS Architecture x64
Node.js 7.9.0
Brave Sync v1.4.2

OS Name: Microsoft Windows 10 Home
OS Version: 10.1.016299
OS Type: x64-based PC

@bravified @zemlik just to be clear you are seeing the autoscroll if you press the Down arrow button ? or are you using the trackpad to scroll?

now

Brave 0.21.24
V8 6.5.254.36
rev 19c78a1
Muon 4.9.3
OS Release 10.0.16299
Update Channel Release
OS Architecture x64
Node.js 7.9.0
Brave Sync v1.4.2

still does it, cheap wireless mouse with scroll wheel, happens click on down arrow in side bar

sriram

March 21

@bravified @zemlik just to be clear you are seeing the autoscroll if you press the Down arrow button ? or are you using the trackpad to scroll?

Same. Windows 10, latest Brave update (version numbers copied below). Somewhat old Dell–2-3 years?–using the built-in trackpad. When I click on the scrollbar, it often won’t stop. This happens going both up and down. If I click on the downward pointing arrow, that works as expected, moves in steps per click. This is a new issue, I am not certain but think it is post-latest-update. I use Brave as my primary browser. Thank you for your work.

Brave 0.21.24
V8 6.5.254.36
rev 19c78a1
Muon 4.9.3
OS Release 10.0.16299

Hi Lauren,

I’m using windows 10 Home (on a 64-bit system)

Brave: 0.21.24

V8: 6.5.254.36

rev: 19c78a1624118e344852c4c0f44c0d45be841b5f

Muon: 4.9.3

OS Release: 10.0.16299

Update Channel: Release

OS Architecture: x64

OS Platform: Microsoft Windows

Node.js: 7.9.0

Brave Sync: v1.4.2

libchromiumcontent: 65.0.3325.162

Mouse: Microsoft Sculpt Touch Mouse

The problem only happens when I use the cursor on the small bottom side scroll button and once it starts to scroll the page it scrolls very fast to the bottom of the page, also noticed that it scrolls the page by just hovering over the same button. I’m old school and have been using PC’s since the 386 (IBM) with DOS then Windows 3 came out

Thanks and

Kind Regards

Richie (Freedom-is-a-right)

‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐

I just downloaded Brave this evening, and I’m also have problems with scrolling. I’m on an older laptop, HP Pavilion with Windows 10 Home. I’m using the touchpad, and if I click on the arrow to try to move a little or in the space under the scroll bar (to try to jump one page), it goes out of control and scrolls quickly until I click on the scroll bar again. I don’t know where to find the information about the version of Brave I downloaded, sorry! I right-clicked to look at Properties, but couldn’t find the info there.

Thanks for your help!

Hi,
You can find the Version of Brave by clicking the “Menu” button(the 3 little dashes at the right side of the tab bar) then hit “Help” then “About Brave” then just click on the small folder icon and it will copy all the info to the clipboard.
Hope this helps.
Richie

We have logged an issue for this and it can be tracked here:

Thanks for reporting,
Lauren

reload again but this time answer “later” when prompted to update (do not restart browser). check version. you should be on 21.18. if you answer “update” or restart browser manually, the 21.24 update will take affect. ticket has been opened to fix the problem. while waiting for the patch, leave Brave up and put computer in sleep mode instead of shutting down.

Your suggestion addresses the symptom, not the problem. Indeed, it opens the door to other more profound computer-hygiene problems, problems occasioned by no regular (at least daily) re-booting. Re-booting cleans the pipes, so to speak. It’s basic maintenance.

(BTW: I found the scrolling problem cropped up after v0.21.19 but perhaps I was inattentive.)

A better alternative (until Brave resolves the scrolling-gone-berserk problem) would be: make Brave updates optional rather than mandatory / out of users’ control.

I know: Brave is free; and it’s still in development. I get it. But while it remains flakey – and OUT OF MY CONTROL – I’ll never use it for anything other than optional non-essential activities.

Thought my suggested solution was worded to imply it was a temporary work around in order to continue to use the browser until 21.24 was patched.?

I don’t like the auto updates either but like chrome and Firefox even less and sticking with Brave as my primary browser.

Oops! Sorry if that came across as being personal in any way. That wasn’t my intent. But past behavior offers little encouragement about how briskly the folks at Brave will address the berserk scrolling problem, and I’ve seen way to many broader problems occasioned by a failure to re-boot.

As to preference among browsers, Hey! They’re tools. Use 'em as seems appropriate.

no worries mate. good on ya.

for me the unwanted scrolling happens with only the bottom scroll arrow that I’ve noticed.
It seems not to be registering that I’ve let go of the left mouse button.

Initially, it seemed v0.22.11 / v0.22.12 resolved this problem; not so. It continues albeit somewhat attenuated.

Reiterating / summarizing – Win 7 / Brave v0.22.12:

mousing over either the vertical or horizontal scroll bar changes the bar’s appearance from light to dark;

the scroll bar and scrolling remain active – with minds of their own – when I move the cursor back to web page content.

This thread is similar to two others. Perhaps you’ll merge them?

FOLKS AT BRAVE: Allow users control over timing / installation of updates.